Page 10 of 89 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by andybotting View Post
    I'm assuming that we need to boot in EFI mode to make the device available, but I haven't been able to make it happen yet.
    Oh, and on EFI, I spent some time fiddling with it on the previous Macbook Pro I had without much luck. I ended up giving up and just patching the kernel to allow ahci even if it was booted in legacy mode, since that was my primary reason for wanting to get EFI boot working.

Beans

Is anyone else having issues with the wireless disconnecting and not being able to connect?

I'm running a MBP 8,3 (17" new model) and I followed the directions in this thread as well as the wiki to get wireless up and running
    (more details here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1704725)

However after about 5 minutes of being perfect, the wireless stops working. The status bar notification says I'm still connected to the wireless network, and iwconfig also says I'm still connected, but there is definitely no internet connection. If I try to ping another computer on the network, the result always times out

any clue as to what may be causing this? or a potential fix?

For got to mention, the wired also has a similar problem. However it doesn't completely stop working, rather it drops down my connection to 5Mbps for no apparent reason

Beans

I got an issue about fan. I read here how to configure fan:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty

any way I don´t found macfanctld even I add the repository:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mactel-support/ppa

any ideas where I can found macfanctld packaged for natty 11.4?

regards lo

Beans

Hi Guys,

Thanks to the drivers on page 2 for the broadcom 4331 and the instructions on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty/ I was able to finally get wireless working on my 2011 13inch Macbook pro, yay!

edit: This is using maverick... I may update the wireless subsection of the wiki above to confirm the instructions also work for those not going straight to natty.
    Last edited by aftershxck; March 13th, 2011 at 11:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by arnorx View Post
    any way I don´t found macfanctld even I add the repository:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mactel-support/ppa
    The PPA does not have packages for Natty yet. You can edit the repository details and change 'natty' to 'maverick' and use those packages instead, but I'm not sure if they will work as expected with a new MacBook Pro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Failed a fresh nightly build of Natty (12-mar) and couldn't install on my Macbook 8,2 ubi-partman 141 message.

Anyone else tried a fresh install recently of Natty ?

1) Boot OSX - Burn natty nightly build
    2) Install rEFIt
    3) Had a Bootcamp 200GB partition don't start install
    4) reboot
    5) Run rEFIt Partition to sync disk
    6) reboot
    7) Boot from CD
    8) Choose to try ubuntu Natty
    9) Everything looks fine, Wired works (wireless not, trackpad not fully)
    10) Click on install, the Mac HD icon flashes a couple of times and then see the message about 'ubi-partman has failed error 141'

Anyone else had the partman error recently ?
    10 things about binary you should know.
    Some people get it - the rest don't.

Beans

About he wireless I tried to use it with the ndiswrapper trick given in the wiki. Unfortunately I experienced each time a random freeze of the system. I guess it happens because I use the WPA authentication method.

Does anyone else notice the problem ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by binary10 View Post
    Failed a fresh nightly build of Natty (12-mar) and couldn't install on my Macbook 8,2 ubi-partman 141 message.

Anyone else tried a fresh install recently of Natty ?

1) Boot OSX - Burn natty nightly build
    2) Install rEFIt
    3) Had a Bootcamp 200GB partition don't start install
    4) reboot
    5) Run rEFIt Partition to sync disk
    6) reboot
    7) Boot from CD
    8) Choose to try ubuntu Natty
    9) Everything looks fine, Wired works (wireless not, trackpad not fully)
    10) Click on install, the Mac HD icon flashes a couple of times and then see the message about 'ubi-partman has failed error 141'

Anyone else had the partman error recently ?
    I try the same thing. No way, rollback to alpha 3.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poppop View Post
    About he wireless I tried to use it with the ndiswrapper trick given in the wiki. Unfortunately I experienced each time a random freeze of the system. I guess it happens because I use the WPA authentication method.

Does anyone else notice the problem ?
    I got the same problem. The radeon sometime is not recognized. At the moment the ubuntu box doesn't start even in safe mode :/

I will try a fresh install again this evening...

Beans

So with the new packages for the keyboard and mouse I think the only things we're missing now are bluetooth, wifi, and thunderbolt.

Note: I've left the wifi instructions on the wiki as they seem to work for some people but personally I get a hard freeze when loading the module unless I wait until sometime (at least 20 minutes) after boot and even then it doesn't actually connect to anything. This used to work (at least once) as I was the one that provided the driver but apparently there have been some kernel changes since.

If you get a freeze while loading the module you'll also get a freeze on boot so you'll have to edit your grub boot line to change 'ro' to 'rw' and add 'init=/bin/bash' (no quotes on either) so you can boot to a shell, run `ndiswrapper -r bcmwl5 && sync` then hold the power button to shut down.
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Page 10 of 89 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast