Thread: How to resize root on a live usb?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

How to resize root on a live usb?

i wanted to install updates, but the Update Manager said there wasn't enough space on / although enough free space should be availabe: (see attached screenshot)

Edit:
    that is a live USB flash drive, hosting a live system that can be tried out or installed, that also saves all changes. i just don't get why it says there's not enough space when clearly there is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by amoebios; March 6th, 2011 at 12:34 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to resize root on a live usb?

Here are some step by step for using GParted from the LiveCD.

Basically, you'll have to shrink your /home partition (or another partition on the same drive) to give unallocated space, then expand your / partition into the unallocated space.

Beans
    Distro

Look at the screenshot i posted. The only partitions are /dev/sdc1 and 2 with the mount points /cdrom and /media/16gb2 respectively. Is it even possible to resize partitions that are inside a LiveCD image?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you boot from a cd/dvd, that "partition table" would be fixed and you won't be able to resize/move/delete anything (since its already 'hard' written into the physical media). You would, however, be able to resize the 16gb drive (/media/16gb) that is plugged into your computer.

If you want to customize a distro of your own and place it on a cd/dvd there are a number of ways to do that, the first that comes to mind is the openSUSE Builder

Beans
    Distro

My files and applications are being stored correctly and there's enough free space in /tmp. i don't get it....

wait, let me try to explain it:
    that is a live USB flash drive, hosting a live system that can be tried out or installed, that also saves all changes. i just don't get why it says there's not enough space when clearly there is.
    Last edited by amoebios; February 26th, 2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: updating, adding information.

Beans
    Distro

Could it be the FAT32 4 GB limit? Can i spread the image to multiple casper-rw's or would i have to create a partition with a FS that can handle larger files?
    Last edited by amoebios; March 25th, 2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: found answer to one question myself (how to delete a post)

Beans
    Distro

Ha, look, i believe this is how i created this setup:
    First, i partitioned the flash drive with another LiveCD i already had. i then used unetbootin to create a LiveUSB on the small partition, then bootet that and used ubuntus Startup Disk Creator to create the persistent system on the larger partition.
    i thought it was booting from the small partition.

Let's say i mark the small partition bootable and boot from that, will it save to the other partition? Can't wait to try!