Thread: Better Audio Player Than Rhythmbox To Manage Podcasts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Better Audio Player Than Rhythmbox To Manage Podcasts?

Hi,

I used Gpodder to manage my podcast downloads and it works well for my needs.

Currently I have been using Rhythmbox to manage the handling of my podcasts in terms of storing and playing. Because I don't have access to radio (I'm in India) I only ever listen to podcasts and I play them randomly throughout the day.

My needs are quite simple yet there are a couple of frustrations with Rhythmbox that I'm still looking to improve, so is there an alternative? I've tried Banshee, which isn't much of an improvement on Rhythmbox, and I use Quod Libet for music, so that one is out of the question as I want to keep that exclusively for music, not podcasts. Here are my problems:

- Rhythmbox does not remember whether a track has been played after turning the computer off (or maybe after library has been rescanned). As a consequence I end up hearing the same podcasts. Why does it do this? This is illogical.

- I can't stop Rhythmbox from playing a track that has already been played. This is available in Banshee ('Repeat Off' feature).

- When I remove a track from my library in Rhythmbox (right-hand mouseclick and select 'remove') it is only removed in that session. It comes back when I reboot the computer or rescan the library. Then...

- When I delete a track from my library, it deletes the actual file from my computer. In Foobar I was able to permanently delete the track from my library but not from my computer. Is there a compromise between this issue and the one above?

- In Banshee I cannot change the display of the Browser. It seems to be showing 'Artist' in one window and then 'Album Art', Album. Artist in the window underneath. This is a pointless display for me. Because of the way podcasts are generally labeled the most useful tag to view by is Album.

- In Rhythmbox my favourite display is where the browser displays Album (I can't change it from Artist and Album but I can live with that), and where the library displays Title | Album | Play Count | Date Added. However I can't drag columns like I can in Banshee.

To sum up - I want to permanently delete from the library tracks that have already been played; only play a track once; have the media player remember my preferences after reboot; give priority to Album in the browser; have flexibility in the library to display any column how/where I want. I have tried Banshee and Rhythmbox and need a mix of features that both offer. I'm hoping I've just over-looked some features in either player.

Any suggestions or help gratefully appreciated.
    **** www.followtheboat.com ****
    Tales (not just) from the high seas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Better Audio Player Than Rhythmbox To Manage Podcasts?

Anyone?
    **** www.followtheboat.com ****
    Tales (not just) from the high seas