Thread: need big time help to figure out how to setup outbound mail on my home server

Beans

need big time help to figure out how to setup outbound mail on my home server

OK I am clueless on how to setup the coming and going of email from the home server I put up its been great for testing web pages but I installed wordpress and it sends out a confirmation email that of course does not go anywhere but is stuck in the email black hole in the server..
    Now is it easy to setup and can I use my email account that I have through my hosting company that I have sites on or can I use the email that I get through my internet provider shaw or am I looking at some bucks so I can send mail out some other way?
    I have webmin installed but the mail setup may as well be greek as far as I am concerned anyone that is willing to help me ether in letting me know if I can use any of the ways above and if so how do I set it up and do I need some other software that is better for setting up outgoing mail on my home server if I can only get outgoing I would be one happy camper...

Beans

Re: need big time help to figure out how to setup outbound mail on my home server

Google: Postfix and Dovecot

Beans

Re: need big time help to figure out how to setup outbound mail on my home server

thanks I will take a look and see if that gets me anywhere....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The Ubuntu Server Guide has a good section on "Email Services". Here's a link to the 10.04LTS version:

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/index.html

Beans

thanks I still have had no luck in getting it working but I will keep at it sure is allot to setup way to complicated for what it is hell fidonet way back when was not this complicated...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

if you could tell us which mail server your are running this would be a start. it is not that hard.
    from the sounds of it you are using existing email address and you want to receive and send email.
    you may not need a mail server to do this just use the hosting or (shaw) as your mail server and just set up a mail program like Thunderbird.
    regarding getting your mail from wordpress depending on what is in stalled on your server just login
    and type
    Code:
     mail
    it should prompt you to read it.
    running ubuntu servers, 12.04.3 lts and Pfsense 2.1,
    web hosting and email hosting with 2 ubuntu clients
    uberstudent on laptop
    and 3 networked printers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

also depending what you want to do check
    howtoforge.net and on the left side scroll to mail
    running ubuntu servers, 12.04.3 lts and Pfsense 2.1,
    web hosting and email hosting with 2 ubuntu clients
    uberstudent on laptop
    and 3 networked printers