Page 1 of 148 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unity MEGA Thread

I finally got round to upgrading my netbook to 10.10 and I have to say I'm fairly unimpressed by the Unity desktop.

First up, it feels kinda clunky, you have to wait for menus to load and I can't honestly see any advantage to the way it does things. It turns what could be a very small laptop into an appliancey consumer device and to me that just ruins a netbook.

Second, screen real estate, what a waste. Unity takes up a lot of space with that silly sidepane on the left and surely on a netbook you want to maximise your use of all available space? You could get rid of everything in the unity desktop and just provide a basic dock such as AWN or docky to act as the gnome-panel usually would or hell, just use a single gnome-panel at the top of the screen.

I know it's only two issues but they're annoying enough to make me use the normal gnome-session (oh yeah, in the netbook edition I had to manually install gnome-compiz and the various compiz fusion plugins just to get compositing working with desktop effects. WTF).

Finally, and as far as I know this occurs in the normal desktop edition as well, you can't disable bluetooth via the panel without killing your wireless simultaneously. I've tested this on my netbook and my main machine (AMD64 box) and it occurs on both of them. Seriously annoying.

OK rant over

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Unity, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by slackthumbz View Post
    Second, screen real estate, what a waste. Unity takes up a lot of space with that silly sidepane on the left and surely on a netbook you want to maximise your use of all available space?
    Most screens these days are 16:9, so they're a lot wider than they are tall. The purpose of the side panel was to utilize the extra horizontal space in order to maximize vertical space.

That said, I don't really like the netbook edition either, whether the old one or the new one. I use the desktop edition on my netbook.
    Last edited by Chris1274; October 7th, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
    Lenovo C200 All-In-One (Intel Atom D510 dual core @ 1.66GHz 64bit)
    Lenovo ThinkPad T410i (Intel i3 M370 @ 2.40GHz 64bit)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1274 View Post
    Most screens these days are 16:9, so they're a lot wider than they are tall. The purpose of the side panel was to utilize the extra horizontal space in order to maximize vertical space.

That said, I don't really like the netbook edition either, whether the old one or the new one. I use the desktop edition on my netbook.
    I think I may install a plain desktop edition, but just to illustrate, here's what I mean about the Unity sidepane. It just seems rather pointless when compared to a cleaner desktop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I've decided to use gnome-do in docky option, autohiding, without any panels on my netbook:
    link

good for space saving
    Last edited by Zlatan; October 7th, 2010 at 12:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatan View Post
    I've decided to use gnome-do in docky option, autohiding, without any panels on my netbook:
    link
    It's interesting to note that a lot of users don't realise that you can completely remove the gnome-panel altogether, I haven't tried docky in years so I don't know how good it is these days. I should really give it a go and see how it compares to AWN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It's interesting to note that a lot of users don't realise that you can completely remove the gnome-panel altogether, I haven't tried docky in years so I don't know how good it is these days. I should really give it a go and see how it compares to AWN
    looks great with orientation on top

Beans
    Hidden!

That's it, though, isn't it? A GUI desktop is supposed to be intuitive and it should at least subscribe to some basic standards. Windows users moving between XP and 7 feel at home almost instantly. Macs? Well, they're Macs and the users' experience comes first.

But this fiasco, well it is something altogether different. Instant confusion, constant frustration. Sorry, but I don't have the time, the patience or the will to bother.
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think I may install a plain desktop edition, but just to illustrate, here's what I mean about the Unity sidepane. It just seems rather pointless when compared to a cleaner desktop.

It would be fair to compare a default desktop installation.
    .Pride is Forever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What is that small launcher/notification area running in the second image? I like it.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Unity MEGA Thread

That's avant-window-navigator, my favourite dock

Page 1 of 148 1231151101 ... LastLast