Page 6 of 569 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Unity, why bother?

I'm trying Unity right now but boy it ***
    It is slower then 10.04 on my MSI Wind especially the UI
    Plus that annoying bar/panel/thingy on the left side. I only have a 10" screen so that thing eats up to much space.
    Further I installed the mozilla build of Thunderbird but I can add it to the quick launcher
    And why isn there a auto-hide option?

Oh well, the 10.04 netbook UI took some time getting used to so perhaps one day I will like Unity...

/rant off

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pumo View Post
    I found good replacement for unity which sucks hard (I mean unity)..
    I removed unity and mutter try to install old netbooks didnt work well, strange big icons..
    I remove also and forgot to remove maximus, so now I have normal desktop and maximus in my eeepc 901 and its usable again !
    You didn't have to go to all that trouble, just select the gnome-desktop from the session menu on the login screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    You didn't have to go to all that trouble, just select the gnome-desktop from the session menu on the login screen.
    yes i used that also, but because that unity really is poor. I did remove it (4gig / ssd drive in eeepc 12gb /home ssd)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unity reduces the visible screen area while web browsing. The concept and layout of this application is poor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

solution - remove the Unity side panel its worthless. Just use the ubuntu menu button, It has a nice simple menu layout when you click on it. Then adjust Firefox. First remove the tab, bookmark, status tool bars this increases page view. Next move the navigation icons and url location bar up to the menu bar which also increases web page view area. And finally with the fact that Unity merges the window buttons ( close, min, max ) into the top panel bar you would gain even more view area. This is just my suggestion. I already do everything I listed but without Unity. To bad we couldn't adjust the look of Unity by letting the side panel be optional. Crap then I would have to be on the other side and say Unity is sweet. edit ( just realized with the auto hide function on the standard gnome bar I get the same effect as the window buttons being in the Unity bar. ) So I guess I'm back to "No need for Unity"
    Last edited by Mikecore; October 12th, 2010 at 10:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

How do you find the Unity interface?

I don't really like the Unity interface of UNR 10.10. Your views please. It doesn't really bother me much as KDE is my main DE but I just feel that the old UNR interface was better.

Beans

Re: How do you find the Unity interface?

This has been discussed a lot previously. I think it is a step in the right direction, however I also do not think it is completely ready. By the next Ubuntu I bet it will rock.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How do you find the Unity interface?

merged

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Crikey, I didn't expect this thread to still be going It's interesting to see all the views expressed on Unity. I agree that an auto-hide option for the sidepane would make it much more bearable but I think they also need to speed up the menu loading a bit and make it instant (probably have to pre-cache all the icons and things though so might be a RAM eater).

I did actually try docky out and I didn't particularly like it. Not as many cool applets as AWN and I couldn't even find a decent systray in it. It's also not as customisable as AWN and it totally got in the way of my embedded terminal. So in conclusion, docky isn't for me I might start using gnome-do though cos I like the keyboard driven experience. I already have an insane amount of keyboard shortcuts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Mikecore View Post
    Unity reduces the visible screen area while web browsing. The concept and layout of this application is poor.
    Not a big issue with a 10" screen, just use F11 to go full-screen during a browsing session, configure to keep panel visible if you want. This UI is not slower for me on a Samsung N210. Alt+Tab through open windows. Minimize favorite apps into their icons for quick starting when clicked. Dashboard opens in 1 second for me, Applications screen 2.5 seconds but why open that very much when favs R on the dock. Skype applet sets on panel for me fine. I like how Unity UI gives me more control of my windows than the previously and still maximizes into the panel. Mmm, seems just fine to me.

Page 6 of 569 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast