Page 501 of 569 FirstFirst ... 401451491499500501502503511551 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,010 of 5681

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

  1. #5001
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Beans
    1,274
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    Maybe better check what he's smoking or drinking If Torvalds hates Gnome 3, and he does, he will really hate Unity.
    Yeah, I can't even - I mean, he actually said they might have to mute the video. I agree with him they might want to do that. I also agree with him that it's a video that would spread like mad on YouTube. I just don't think Torvalds having a cursing fit followed by an Ubuntu logo splash is really going to move product. X ,

  2. #5002
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Beans
    20

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Look, he's not wrong. Ubuntu doesn't target hobbyist types, and users who use their computers for tweaking instead of working are wasting their time. As far as most users are concerned, you may as well be arguing over the pattern you use to vacuum the carpet. Canonical doesn't have any reason to cater to us.
    That's not quite how I read what he said. It seem to me that he was claiming that anyone who wasn't happy with Unity exactly as it is is just being difficult and won't like anything. Basically, if you don't agree 100% with him you are wrong.

  3. #5003
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    352

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Yeah, I can't even - I mean, he actually said they might have to mute the video. I agree with him they might want to do that. I also agree with him that it's a video that would spread like mad on YouTube. I just don't think Torvalds having a cursing fit followed by an Ubuntu logo splash is really going to move product. X ,
    Yeah, I'm thinking that is not the kind of publicity for Unity they would want

  4. #5004
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    France
    Beans
    27
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    No but will go gnome 3 am sure as they say gnome 2 soon will not be maintained or upgraded.
    Read this about Gnome 2 / Gnome 3 Linux Mint project: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1845 (make a search on phrase "Linux Mint 12 “Lisa” will be released" to find the right article).

  5. #5005
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    352

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    No but will go gnome 3 am sure as they say gnome 2 soon will not be maintained or upgraded.
    Have you checked out Mate? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MATE
    It is a gnome 2 fork.

  6. #5006
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Beans
    1,274
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BobW
    That's not quite how I read what he said. It seem to me that he was claiming that anyone who wasn't happy with Unity exactly as it is is just being difficult and won't like anything. Basically, if you don't agree 100% with him you are wrong.
    Then, no offense, did you read what he said?

    "There is a bit of a myth that power users don't like and aren't interested in usability and ease-of use," Shuttleworth said. "I think that's nonsense."

    "There is going to be a crowd that is just too cool to use something that looks really slick and there is nothing we can do for them," Shuttleworth said. "Fortunately in Ubuntu there are tons of options and lots of choice and ways to skin the cat."
    And I agree with him - I'm impossible to please, because I like messing with stuff, and there's very little Unity can do for me. But there are plenty of other cats to skin. I don't know how I could be offended by any part of that.

  7. #5007
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    145
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Xubuntu is ok, but I prefer Kubuntu.

  8. #5008
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    I know it isn't right and proper to go to the source, but the keynote speech video is available here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bOwyGYTMv8

  9. #5009
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Beans
    20

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    And I agree with him - I'm impossible to please, because I like messing with stuff, and there's very little Unity can do for me. But there are plenty of other cats to skin. I don't know how I could be offended by any part of that.
    It seems to me that he's saying there are only two groups of people. People who like Unity and people who like to mess with stuff and won't like anything.

    I think there is a third group who just want it work and don't like Unity. Mr. Shuttleworth seems to be ignoring that such people could exist. At home I willing to do some messing around (too much gets me in trouble with my family). However, for work I want it to just work - they aren't paying me to play with the computer. For work, Unity just isn't good and I'll delay upgrading as long as possible.

  10. #5010
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    352

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I know it isn't right and proper to go to the source, but the keynote speech video is available here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bOwyGYTMv8
    It definitely sounded worse in print than it did hearing him say it on youtube in person.

    However, after reading the back and forth here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/882274
    I have nothing but deep concern for the future of Ubuntu. I see lovers being jilted and the guy jilting them. There is way more personality junk involved here than I could ever have imagined.
    This is my last post to this thread as it is quite obvious that nothing said can affect the outcome or future of Ubuntu by its users. I will likely keep using Xubuntu and Lubuntu, but any interest I had in getting more involved has gone out the window after seeing the personality clash and lack of humility involved in this OS that is supposed to be for humans. There are no benevolent dictators. I see a bright future for Linux Mint.
    KBD47
    Last edited by KBD47; November 3rd, 2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: discovering more information

Page 501 of 569 FirstFirst ... 401451491499500501502503511551 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •