Page 2 of 569 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by slackthumbz View Post
    (oh yeah, in the netbook edition I had to manually install gnome-compiz and the various compiz fusion plugins just to get compositing working with desktop effects. WTF).
    That wouldn't have made a difference. You must have done something else, because Unity specifically uses the Mutter window manager, which always does compositing and has nothing to do with Compiz effects.

Finally, and as far as I know this occurs in the normal desktop edition as well, you can't disable bluetooth via the panel without killing your wireless simultaneously. I've tested this on my netbook and my main machine (AMD64 box) and it occurs on both of them. Seriously annoying.
    I have never seen that, either, and I suffer with nasty Broadcom wifi on my netbook. Sounds like you have a compatibility issue there, or just some funny hardware.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; October 7th, 2010 at 05:19 PM.

Beans

Then don't use it, linux is all about choice and unlike other OS's you're not locked into using something like that. If you don't like unity then either just remove it or use a different distro. Ubuntu of course is going to make the defaults the way they think most people using netbooks would want it to be displayed regardless of your personal opinion.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by donkyhotay View Post
    Ubuntu of course is going to make the defaults the way they think most people using netbooks would want it to be displayed regardless of your personal opinion.
    And how would Ubuntu know how most people are using netbooks if people don't express their opinions here?
    The DRUNKS - For Your Inner Drunk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think I may install a plain desktop edition, but just to illustrate, here's what I mean about the Unity sidepane. It just seems rather pointless when compared to a cleaner desktop.

It would be fair to compare a default desktop installation.
    .Pride is Forever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I tried it weeks ago and its safe to say that I wont be installing it on my mother's netbook. I was interested in it at first but can see how it can confuse many "casuals." Especially one who finally grew to the current 10.04 netbook experience.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans

I believe people like the clean look of a Desktop ....

Its for the user then to customize it as they want to .....

There should be a repository with a clean desktop so users can add to it what they want

I found that this exists at the moment ..... but no doubt this will change in time .....

Here is what I have just done to get a clean look ...... LINK

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm bored, disenchanted with UNE 10.04. I'll give 10.10 a spin tonight and if I'm not impressed I'll try Kubuntu's netbook offering or some other distros.

I can't understand why the Mint community hasn't jumped all over the opportunity to create a netbook remix.

Meanwhile Aurora has yet to release their Debian-based OS. It's been in beta forever with installation problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah, OK, it sucks. I can't customize the untiy dock thingie or the panel? Really?

Fail.

Beans

I am trying Unity right now on Maverick, and it is quite awesome actually. A little iffy on my hardware, but it works fast and looks great. I will give it the road test and might use it full time on my hardware, unless I am doing something 3d like a game.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@ Nightwish

How are you using Unity? I have it going on 10.04 and it is very slow...too slow to use in a practical sense but I really enjoy the set-up. If it was 'instant' it would be great to use but, for now, it is just too slow

Page 2 of 569 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast