Page 11 of 569 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Ubuntu shift away from Gnome - I don't get the problem

The installation routines seem to have greatly improved with Meerkat, especially the way it starts the download and then asks some of the personal questions. How this relates to this topic is:

Why not just add a little diag box into the process that asks the user which GUI they would like to install: GNOME, Unity, KDE, Enlightenment etc... and show a nice little downsized screenshot of each alternative as they tick the radio boxes?

It would be quite a bit of work for the developers, I realise, but not impossible. Naturally, click on "Forward" goes with the default, and it would be too much work to include everything, but the main contenders: GNOME, KDE, Unity, can't be too hard to setup the script files for.
    The code is free but the data is priceless.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Moran View Post
    The installation routines seem to have greatly improved with Meerkat, especially the way it starts the download and then asks some of the personal questions. How this relates to this topic is:

Why not just add a little diag box into the process that asks the user which GUI they would like to install: GNOME, Unity, KDE, Enlightenment etc... and show a nice little downsized screenshot of each alternative as they tick the radio boxes?

It would be quite a bit of work for the developers, I realise, but not impossible. Naturally, click on "Forward" goes with the default, and it would be too much work to include everything, but the main contenders: GNOME, KDE, Unity, can't be too hard to setup the script files for.

would have to be a dvd then...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

As the Ubiquity offers to download stuff from the web to update installation files size is not a matter (at least if your connection allows).

Yet I think ubuntu should stay Gnome centric. Which means the options should be limited down to: Gnome Shell, Gnome Shell (Fallback), Unity, Unity (Fallback).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by smellyman View Post
    would have to be a dvd then...
    Good point. I never thought of that one, but it would be nice to have GIMP back again as part of the package. Perhaps a 1Gb DVD wouldn't be too hard to download off the 'net.

---o0o---

I just thought of one possible answer to the CD problem. Maybe if there's an online connection during installation, provide the options, and if it's an offline install, go with the default! Don't worry though, half an hour from now I'll maybe work out why that's a stupid idea too. 9-)
    Last edited by Sean Moran; October 30th, 2010 at 01:27 PM.
    The code is free but the data is priceless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Moran View Post
    This isn't going to happen. It's confusing to end users. Go ask an average computer user what KDE, Gnome, Unity etc. are and see what the problem is.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

People never understand the GPL,
    if you make your own version of things you are not collaborating and such,
    if you use a GPL technology you are killing open source, like Mono and such,
    if you sell a GPL technology you are killing GPL itself, like sell software and such,
    they don't admit that, but they never understand the GPL, thats it...

Beans

GNOME vs. Unity

Most of us have heard how Ubuntu wants wants to switch from the GNOME user interface to the newer Unity user interface, but I also hear that many people disagree with this change.

What do you think?
    Leave your opinion below....

I personally think there should be a descent and reliable way to switch back to GNOME.
    Last edited by physic.dude; October 30th, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
    Xubuntu - 11.10 (64-Bit) | Processor - Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz | Motherboard - ASUS P5Q PRO | Graphics Card - GeForce 9800 GTX+ | Hard Drive - Seagate 7200RPM 2TB | RAM - 4 x 2GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 (8GB) //
    I'm a Ġⵉⵉʞ

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: GNOME vs. Unity

I think Ubuntu should continue to use the GNOME interface and not make this change. I like the GNOME interface.
    Last edited by rasfl3; October 30th, 2010 at 09:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Gnome, I dont like that unity thing, and it seems it slows the system too, I think its a bad idea, and there should be a way to disable it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No worries are needed, I am sure there will be a Gnomebuntu
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Page 11 of 569 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast