Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless USB N300 Netgear install

Beans

Question Re: Wireless USB N300 Netgear install

Hi, everyone!
    I have read the thread fairly thoroughly and have followed the installation instructions therein. I've tried installing ndiswrapper 1.55 from the package, and also installing 1.58 from source. I'm using the wna3100-drivers.zip package downloaded from here.

I'm running a 32-bit version of Ubuntu 10.04, and can't upgrade this particular box since its reason for existence is to run some software to drive a milling machine, which won't run on later versions.

Despite all my attempts, the interface is just not recognized by linux (does not show up in iwconfig).

Here are the diagnostic messages I've gotten most recently:
    Code:
    root@Linux-CNC:/home/walts/wna3100-drivers# lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 08e6:0432 Gemplus GemPC432 SmartCard Reader
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 049f:000e Compaq Computer Corp. Internet Keyboard
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0451:2036 Texas Instruments, Inc. TUSB2036 Hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0781:5576 SanDisk Corp. 
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0846:9020 NetGear, Inc. 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    root@Linux-CNC:/home/walts/wna3100-drivers# ndiswrapper -l
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/emc2, it will be ignored in a future release.
    bcmwlhigh5 : driver installed
        device (0846:9020) present
    root@Linux-CNC:/home/walts/wna3100-drivers# dmesg | grep ndis
    [ 1524.863239] ndiswrapper version 1.55 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    [ 1525.114988] ndiswrapper (import:242): unknown symbol: ntoskrnl.exe:'IoUnregisterPlugPlayNotification'
    [ 1525.115108] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:206): couldn't prepare driver 'bcmwlhigh5'
    [ 1525.115418] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:108): couldn't load driver bcmwlhigh5; check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 1525.115976] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    root@Linux-CNC:/home/walts/wna3100-drivers# ^C
    As I read this, the physical device is present, ndiswrapper has bcmwlhigh5 and sees the device - but the kernel can't load the driver because of teh unknown symbol.
    I have tried googling for 'IoUnregisterPlugPlayNotification' but could not find any help.

I have a lot more experience with Windows than with linux and I may not be interpreting the messages correctly, but regardless, I need some help here, please.

Walt

P.S. the interface works, on this box, when booted with Windows.
    Last edited by wscrivens1; March 8th, 2013 at 02:16 AM. Reason: spelling error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wireless USB N300 Netgear install

My admiration and respect for a well-researched and well-written post. It's a refreshing departure from the all too common, "what's up my wireless wotn werk whadda I do??"

As you correctly surmise, this is the problem:
    (import:242): unknown symbol: ntoskrnl.exe:'IoUnregisterPlugPlayNotification'
    However, when you searched:
    I have tried googling for 'IoUnregisterPlugPlayNotification' but could not find any help.
    ...you would have had a better result searching for 'unknown symbol: ntoskrnl.exe' and I am fairly sure the answer is that ndiswrapper 1.55 is incompatible with some later kernels. I am surprised it is incompatible with 10.04.

You said you compiled 1.58 and yet 1.55 loads:
    ndiswrapper version 1.55 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    What was the outcome of your compile? Errors, warnings, smoke, sparks??? That's the first thing I'd try, compiling and installing 1.58.

EDIT: If 1.58 errors out, please see here and try 1.57: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndis.../files/stable/

As for this little gem:
    ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:206): couldn't prepare driver 'bcmwlhigh5'
    I think it goes hand in hand with ntoskrnl.exe and I suspect it will resolve with a newer, better ndiswrapper.

I am anxious to help you; as an old friend once told me, with a milling machine, you can make horsepower and money!
    Last edited by chili555; March 8th, 2013 at 02:56 AM.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Thanks, Chili!

Thank you for your kind words. I've been around Internet forums long enough to know that you need to provide all possible information so folks can understand your problem

I don't know why ndiswrapper was reporting version 1.55 - the last thing I had done was to compile 1.58!

I think part of the problem was too much cruft left over from previous attempts. I did use modprobe to remove the module and apt-get to remove ndiswrapper* but it missed one file, /kernel/ubuntu/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko which I removed by hand. Then I recompiled 1.58 and installed bcmwlhigh5.inf - but it told me it was already installed, so I must have missed something more!

Anyway, I modprobe'd ndiswrapper, and this time it worked.

Then, summoning all of my courage, I did a software update with Update Manager. I was down this road before - I had gotten the Netgear adapter working, ran an update, and it quit. This time, though, it seems to have survived.

The one remaining curiosity is to understand the method of COMPLETELY removing something like ndiswrapper.

Thanks for your help!

Walt

Beans
    Distro

The one remaining curiosity is to understand the method of COMPLETELY removing something like ndiswrapper.
    It should remove completely with:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    sudo apt-get remove --purge ndiswrapper*
    A note on updates. You have compiled 1.58 against your current kernel only. When Update Manager installs a newer kernel version, known in Ubuntu World as linux-image, you will need to compile 1.58 against the newer kernel after you reboot into it:
    Code:
    cd ndiswrapper-1.58
    make clean
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    The bcmwlhigh5 is already installed permanently so your wireless should fire right up. Please retain your 1.58 files and these instructions for that day.

Glad it's working! Have fun!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Thanks for all your help. The networking is working OK now!

Walt

Beans

Hi Chilli, I've gone through all these pages but I am still having problems getting my wireless to work. Currently I'm reading of my broken laptop, unplugging the VGA cable to go back to the desktop im trying to set up. I'm so frustrated -.-'

jimbo@Demian ~ $ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0846:9020 NetGear, Inc. WNA3100(v1) Wireless-N 300 [Broadcom BCM43231]

jimbo@Demian ~ $ ndiswrapper -l

When I type dmesg | grep ndis ... I get nothing, just back to a clean command line...?

I'm sorry, im quite new to Terminal, and linux in general. I played around a bit with the command options but I'm just not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be looking for. I am under the impression I have the archive wna3100-drivers.zip installed(the correct version for my 32bit system, i think), but I have installed like 4 other drivers previous to this that may be conflicting? If you could help me that would be so great. I'm trying to do my university work on a broken netbook its just too difficult I need to get my desktop figured out.

Beans

woohoo just got it. My first major terminal success with mint.

for anyone with a similar problem, I got it from another thread chili commented on. here.

Edit. lol. 3rd times a charm? whenever I restart the computer the wireless stops working. This is how i get it working again.

jimbo@Demian ~ $ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    jimbo@Demian ~ $ ndiswrapper -l
    device (0846:9020) present
    jimbo@Demian ~ $ dmesg | grep ndis
    [ 143.153597] ndiswrapper version 1.58 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    [ 143.454206] ndiswrapper: driver bcmwlhigh5 (Netgear,05/05/2009, 5.10.79.30) loaded
    [ 143.713136] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    jimbo@Demian ~ $

The wireless switches on when I ask for the kernal message. Any ideas on how to have it configured correctly for when I boot the computer up?
    Last edited by jimbo.slice; March 25th, 2013 at 11:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo.slice View Post
    Any ideas on how to have it configured correctly for when I boot the computer up?
    Please try this:
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo ndiswrapper >> /etc/modules
    exit

So major problems here NEED HELP. I was running windows 8 i hated it so i desided to switch over to ubuntu as I had it in the past version 10 i think. But i just downloaded 12.10 and I bought myself a NETGEAR N300 usb adapter. Nothing i really came across looks like it works out of the box but this was really only easy post i could find. After playing around for several hours im still not connected to the internet and kinda getting pissed. Also i have no sound coming out of my HDMI output

specs on my computer AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics × 4 Realtek ALC892

PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!!
    Last edited by crazy_23_1999_04290; March 26th, 2013 at 12:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_23_1999_04290 View Post
    So major problems here NEED HELP. I was running windows 8 i hated it so i desided to switch over to ubuntu as I had it in the past version 10 i think. But i just downloaded 12.10 and I bought myself a NETGEAR N300 usb adapter. Nothing i really came across looks like it works out of the box but this was really only easy post i could find. After playing around for several hours im still not connected to the internet and kinda getting pissed. Also i have no sound coming out of my HDMI output

specs on my computer AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics × 4 Realtek ALC892

PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!!
    May we see the usual suspects? Open a terminal and run and post:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    dmesg | grep ndis

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast