Thread: Sloooowwwwww!!!

Beans

Sloooowwwwww!!!

hay fokes how are yas!!!

ive just loaded ubuntu desktop 10.10 on to my netbook and it is running really slow....is there a way for me to get it up to speed like it was before!!!

ive up dated all the known software for it but still no luck!!!

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Sloooowwwwww!!!

The netbook edition of Ubuntu 10.10 comes with an early version of a desktop interface called "Unity". Parts of this desktop interface are a little slow in 10.10. You could run the classic Gnome desktop instead - at the login screen, click your username and at the bottom choose the classic Gnome desktop from the popup menu.

If the whole computer is running slowly, then you might have a program running that is using up all your CPU time. Check the system Monitor to see if there is a program using a lot of your CPU.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by legend_gibby View Post
    hay fokes how are yas!!!

ive just loaded ubuntu desktop 10.10 on to my netbook and it is running really slow....is there a way for me to get it up to speed like it was before!!!
    If you are in fact using the DESKTOP edition instead of the NETBOOK edition, then it will run slow on your netbook.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I put Xubuntu on my netbook. Works fine.
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Beans

ok got all that information.....thanks guys......

now the other question!!!!

my wireless connection is now not working it says it is connected but i cant get onto the internet!!!

any ideas with this!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you are in fact using the DESKTOP edition instead of the NETBOOK edition, then it will run slow on your netbook.
    ??

I've run the full desk top version on an EeePc (the 7 inch screen), no problems and on my Compaq Mini.

That said, I use 10.04.
    Alan

Saddleworth, Manchester (UK).