Thread: Gnash Destroyed My Life

Beans

Exclamation Gnash Destroyed My Life

Greetings. I'm a total noob at linux and I probably deserved this... I recently installed gnash swf viewer onto my ubuntu. I wasn't able to view any sfw and to top it off I can't view any of my files off the places tab. I also can't see my email now. And I think I've lost all my personal files and folders. I feel like I've been kicked in the gut by a horse after all of this, extremely upset. Please help. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Gnash Destroyed My Life

Welcome to the forum!

Installing a flash viewer couldn't have destroyed your personal files, emails and settings. Please be more specific to what happened.

I cannot associate a viewer for a specific file type to loss of all personal data...
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans

I appreciate your insight. It's a little too late to rescue anything that I've done. I wiped out my hard drive and reinstalled everything. The reason I installed gnash was to view a zip file from Microsoft Academy. After attempting dozens of times to get this file to run, was when I ran into issues. However, attempting to uninstall gnash made matters worse. Any ideas. Perhaps this is all due to MS IT Academy?

Beans

Gnash is a flash player, I don't know why you were trying to open a zip file with that. Try installing the unzip package, then opening the zip in file roller/archive manager.

I don't know what this Microsoft Academy is, but I hope you're aware that Windows software will not work natively on Linux.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans

The zip file contained a swf file. OS shouldn't matter if the file is flash.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by godzphavorite View Post
    The zip file contained a swf file. OS shouldn't matter if the file is flash.
    But surely you realize that it must be extracted BEFORE gnash would know what to do with it, right?
    Antec900, AMDX6 1090t, nVidia GTS450, PCPower&C 750W Silencer, Corsair H70, OCZ Vertex2, Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3.
    Win7, Ubuntu10.04, Linux Mint.
    And two cats that make me glad I have an air compressor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hm ... ms and flash ... that also doesn't go in the same line ... ms is silverlight (no matter what!)

I was a developer for windows for more than 8 years now, I've never heard about ms [any kind] academy .... baffled!

PS. I would be happy to see that, if it is not against any law, could you post it somewhere ... or direct me to any link?
    Last edited by An Sanct; February 25th, 2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: edited +PS +[ thingie ] (yes, and a typo ...)
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!