Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New computer hangs on shutdown/reboot, how to troubleshoot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: New computer hangs on shutdown/reboot, how to troubleshoot?

Quote Originally Posted by timgood View Post
    The problem is with the wireless adapter. I have the same model and the wrong driver is loaded which prevents shutdown. To fix it you need to do this . . .
    Timgood, would you mind educating me a little? I'd like to understand why this solution worked.

I've understood that Ubuntu loads the wrong driver by default, and it's clear that wrong drivers may cause problems like this. But what does your fix do? It looks as if you remove the driver, then add the same one again, then blacklist a different one -- but I'm just guessing and I don't get why this would solve the problem. Can you explain to a Linux beginner?

Also, how did you know what drivers to add/remove/blacklist? How did you determine rt2860sta and rt2800pci, respectively?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

The fix was devised by Linuxexperte and his original post can be seen here.

Following his instructions I can surmise that:

Code:
    lsmod | grep rt
    gives a list of modules with 'rt' in them loaded. He noticed that the both the rt2800pci (wrong module for radio card) and the rt2860sta (correct module) were being loaded at boot and that one was interfering with the other, causing the shutdown problem we both experienced.

His next step is more problematic. He says do this:

Code:
    sudo modprobe rf rt2800pci
    which gives an error message. I believe this is just a misprint for:

Code:
    sudo modprobe -rf rt2800pci
    which is the code to remove the module. However on my machine this command caused the dreaded freeze, so I left this out next time I tried.

He then gives the code to remove the correct driver (rt2860sta) and then re-insert it. I have no idea why he does this, but he does state that on his machine it immediately caused the network to come back up. I had no way to test this on my machine because removal of the rt2800pci module freezes the 3700. So I did what he suggested, removed the module and then re-inserted it, blacklisted the driver, hard booted and then it worked. I did try to just blacklist the driver without removing and re-installing it, but seem to remember that I had a 'tainted kernel' message which required a full re-install. This of course, might just have been a nasty co-incidence, but I didn't want to risk it again. YMMV.

By the way, you may want to mark this thread as 'solved'.
    Last edited by timgood; March 3rd, 2011 at 01:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for the explanation! And thanks for the nudge to mark as solved; I wasn't aware of that feature. Done

Beans

Smile Re: New computer hangs on shutdown/reboot, how to troubleshoot?

Wow! Such an easy solution. Linuxexperte's first two commands didn't seem to do anything but after the third command I saw the driver was blacklisted in terminal. Then I tried shutting down which resulted in hanging again after that *poof* the problem is gone. Now it can freely sleep, reboot, shutdown etc.

I'm running Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.10 on my LG X130 netbook.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Finally solved my problem using this solution. Wish i had looked sooner rather than struggling along like a mong. It also solved my switching on and off the wireless card problem which was freezing my machine.

thanks timgood.

Beans

Thank you Timgood....shutdown and reboot works fine )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by torbengb View Post
    @timgood: Amazing! Three lines of terminal input and less than two minutes of work (including testing!!) and this problem that has been bothering me for a week is just gone! May I offer you a virtual beer?!
    TIMGOOD YOU ROCK!!! I'll send you a case of virtual beer for this fix. Days of trolling forums and Google, and this blacklist rt2800 fixed my shutdown issues. Everyone else said it was the video drivers, but it's the wireless driver causing the problems.

This shutdown issue appeared when I upgraded to 11.04 so I reinstalled 10.10 and found this fix. Now I might be able to re-upgrade and blacklist and have it fixed in 11.04 as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

TIMGOOD, you rock the doublewide....worked perfectly on a new install I was having a problem with.
    Wife after seeing my Ubuntu coffee cup.
    "What the h&ll is Uuuuu-bunnnn-to?"

Beans

thank you i have been plagued by this problem and nothing i had tried worked until now thank you

Beans

I have the same symptoms, but I don't have any wireless card!

If I type

Code:
    sudo halt -p
    the system shuts down,

if I type

Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    the system freezes on the message "Will now halt"...
    Last edited by saltydog; February 26th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast