View Poll Results: Which is better, Microsoft Zune or Apple iPod?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zune

18 43.90%
  • iPod

25 60.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zune vs iPod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Zune vs iPod

If the only two choices were Apple or Microsoft... I wouldn't bother.

Beans
    Hidden!

I really like my iPhone, and I think iPods make very nice mp3 players. Lots of apps and other devices that will work with them as well (my car stereo has iPod control, which is very handy for me).

Never used or even seen a Zune before. I doubt Zune can come even close in terms of all the apps you can get for the iPod touch. Can you even install apps on the Zune?

If you want something that works well with Linux and you only want to listen to music, plus has tons of codec support, I'd say get something by COWON. The only reason I replaced mine with an iPhone is because I wanted to put my music player and phone into one device. Plus, I wanted to be able to browse the web and use all the apps.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Spr0k3t View Post
    If the only two choices were Apple or Microsoft... I wouldn't bother.
    Strange...
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: Zune vs iPod

iPod with Rockbox. Yeahhh!
    Eternally confused.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Neither! I use my Sony MP3 player. I can easily copy to and from my Sony with Nautilus. No dependency on third party music players to sync with.

I will never buy an Apple product.

PS. What is with the public poll?
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I never used a zune but I voted for it because I hated the ipod I had. My choice would be neither though. I would get a Cowon(Great sound quality!), Sansa(Very linux friendly and fair price) , or a good android phone (Very convenient and you get pandora!). I've used all three of those and they are awesome.
    PC: 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad-Core Processor | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Galaxy 2GB GeForce 670 GTX | 30GB OCZ ssd | 1TB + 750GB 7200 RPM Hard Drives | Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows Vista ultimate
    Phone: Samsung Nexus Galaxy (verizon)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You must realize that when you make a poll like this on a forum like this, many users will immediately think of the companies behind the products as well as the products themselves.

From a purely technical standpoint, the Zune HD is a low priority for Microsoft, and it shows. It's more of a media player than an MID. The iPod Touch, (I'm assuming we're taking the best from each category) is more of an iPhone without a calling feature. From the selection of useful applications, to the processor and software combination, to the sheer amount of things you can do with it, the iPod Touch is a technically superior product.

Zune vs iPod is much more even, though, although pretty much that- perfectly even.

On that note, you have to acknowledge another technical aspect- ease of use. Zune and iPod, in all their forms, support a limited number of formats for music and video, and the iPod will officially work on OS X and Windows, while the Zune will work only on Windows.

So, from a technical standpoint, the iPod is more often than not superior in features, portability, and it doesn't seem to have an issue with having an easy to use interface (most portable devices these days don't, given Android being exceptional and open source- there's no reason to get away with a crappy interface since there's no vendor lock in).

However, if you only care about playing music and videos, and you don't care about the technical stuff, just how well you can show you hate a company, I guess the Zune might be better at showing how much you hate Apple. In that case, why not save some money and get a media player from Samsung or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a iPod classic 6th gen in my VW GTI, as it has the docking station, and I periodically update it with music form my PC. It never comes out of the car, because I can't stand the UI and its too heavy for gym use. Only own it because it was free. I decided after my Ipod 5th gen broke not to buy another and oddly I gained two more by donation.

Never used a Zune and wouldn't bother with one. Too expensive for my tastes theese days.

I have a Sansa Clip+ and love it. Its my go to player of choice. It has 8GB built in, has the option for 32GB more by microSD card and has a build in clip which is great for the gym or being on the go. Unlike the Ipod shuffle it has a screen.
    When my first one broke, SanDisk sent me a new one, not referbished! N-E-W! New in the box. That is awesome customer service!
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cblnchat View Post
    How do you get that the zune doesnt work at all btw?
    I meant it doesn't work at all under Linux I have a 2nd gen Touch, and have had it a little over a year, and with it jailbroken and not paying for any apps, it's great No big issues with it. Sure, it can be annoying at times whenever I run into its limitations and have to use iTunes or something, but in general it's good. I'd rather have something with Android though, of course.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I have a Creative Zen, and it costs about 1/3 of the Zune or iPod, and it works with Windows, Linux, and OS X.
    Desktop: Dell Studio XPS - Win 7/64
    Laptop: Thinkpad Edge - Xubuntu 11.10

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast