Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiling Window Managers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Tiling Window Managers

Has anyone tried Bluetile? It is a WM that is suppose to integrate well with Gnome. Or does anyone know of any other tiling window managers that integrate well with Gnome or XFCE?

I would like the full desktop experience as well as a tiling window manager. As mentioned above, KDE now has tiling support, but I really don't like using KDE.
    Last edited by BrokenKingpin; May 6th, 2011 at 08:48 PM.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    Has anyone tried Bluetile? It is a WM that is suppose to integrate well with Gnome. Or does anyone know of any other tiling window managers that integrate well with Gnome of XFCE?

I would like the full desktop experience as well as a tiling window manager. As mentioned above, KDE now has tiling support, but I really don't like using KDE.
    i believe xmonad works well with gnome, and pytile mayyy work with xfce, but id check if i were you.

i used to use awesomewm, which is pretty easy to get the hang of but ive gone back to using openbox with some custom placement shortcuts that work like the compiz grid. i realised i rarely have that many things to look at all at once and its much more convenient to have shortcut keys to resize to 100,50 or 25% of the screen and stick it against a corner or edge.

another one to consider is scrotwm, which also allows you to combine windows together and access them with tabs a la pekwm.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aeiah View Post
    ive gone back to using openbox with some custom placement shortcuts that work like the compiz grid. i realised i rarely have that many things to look at all at once and its much more convenient to have shortcut keys to resize to 100,50 or 25% of the screen and stick it against a corner or edge.
    Could you elaborate (here or in a pm)? I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but it sounds interesting.

Beans

Does anyone know of a window manager with Eclipse-like tiling? In Eclipse (an MDI app), any tab (called 'view' in Eclipse) can be dragged to any container in the screen. If you drop the tab on top of the container, the tab is stacked with the other tabs in the container. If you drag the tab to an edge of the container, a new container is created, tiling the old container. (Eg, if you drag to the left side of a container, the old container is split vertically and you have two new containers, vertically tiled, with the new one on the left.) Empty containers collapse. A given configuration of tabs (not just their location, but what is open and not open) can be saved as a 'perspective'.

I find this tiling behaviour dynamic, flexible and intuitive. Are there comparable window managers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Has anyone tried Bluetile? It is a WM that is suppose to integrate well with Gnome. Or does anyone know of any other tiling window managers that integrate well with Gnome of XFCE?

Have you used a KDE distro other than KUbuntu? you may be pleasantly surprised by OpenSUSE or Sabayon.
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jerenept View Post
    Have you used a KDE distro other than KUbuntu? you may be pleasantly surprised by OpenSUSE or Sabayon.
    Yes, both actually. OpenSUSE was just too bloated for me. Sabayon was nice and I generally liked what they have done, but too many bugs with things like package management. I really prefer a debian/ubuntu based distro. I have though about doing a debian barebones install and trying KDE on top of that, and configure it myself without all the extra bloat.

If XFCE has tiling support I would be in heaven, but from most of my searching it is a huge pain to get anything working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have never used a tiling window manager, but am interested in trying one out. What is the best tiling window manager out there (in your opinion), or one you recommend starting with? Thanks!
    Well I started out with Xmonad, but for the sake of trying and learning new things, I also gave Awesome and DWM a try. To be honest I didn't find any one superior over the other, but ended up going back to Xmonad due to familiarity.

I think the main thing is to just start using a TWM, because once I started, floating windows just seemed so inefficient to me, couldn't believe I had gone so long dragging, resizing and maximising windows.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelinux33467 View Post
    Xmonad is another good one.
    +1 for Xmonad

...Or does anyone know of any other tiling window managers that integrate well with Gnome...
    For a while I was using Xmonad with xmobar and dmenu, then I was using it with dzen and conky. While it worked nicely with the way I customised it, I still missed some of the basic Gnome functionality and applets, so decided to go down this route - I have Xmonad working as the Window Manager inside Gnome. It wasn't too hard to get working, but took me a while to customise it how I wanted it to work.

A lot of the methods on the Haskell wiki such as an xmonad.desktop file, or a modified .xsession didn't work properly for me, and I found that making the default Window manager as Xmonad instead of metacity through Gconf editor done the trick.

Once I had Xmonad running successfully inside Gnome, the next thing I wanted to do was replace the window list selector that sits in the panel, with something that works similar to xmobar. Through google'ing I stumbled upon the Xmonad log applet. It was kind of tricky to get set up (for me anyway ) but once I did I was pleased with the result.

The final thing was getting Gnome-Do to work with Xmonad nicely. This is as simple as adding the line:
    Code:
    managementHooks :: [ManageHook]
    managementHooks = [
        resource  =? "Do"        --> doIgnore
    ]
    To your xmonad.hs file, so that xmonad doesn't treat Gnome-Do as a tiled window (the results are horrible ). Apparently according to google searches this isn't the "best" way of getting Do to work nicely, but it works fine for me. And to use different skins in Do you need compositing, but you can't enable compiz and Xmonad at the same time, so I installed and use xcompmgr instead, so I the glass Do theme fits in nicely with my desktop.

And I am pleased with the final result and Xmonad works inside Gnome
    http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/443/2141clean.png
    http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8120/2672dirty.png

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by urukrama View Post
    Could you elaborate (here or in a pm)? I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but it sounds interesting.
    i was directed towards subtle yesterday which does a similar thing (but in a very tiling wm kinda way), but i got the idea from compiz grid so i use the ctrl+alt modifiers for my shortcuts.

if you imagine your keypad as representative of a grid on your screen, Ctrl+Alt+kp_9 resizes my focused window to 50% height/width and places it in the top right:

Ctrl+Alt+kp_3 , bottom right:

Ctrl+Alt+kp_4, left 50% (full height)

makes it very quick to arrange a maximum of 4 windows, without having tiling an inherent part of my desktop experience.

both compiz grid plugin and subtle also allow for some kind of toggle resizing (first resize will be width 50%, then 33%, then 66%), but this isnt really available with openbox. its probably possible with some if/else statements in an external bash script though (wmctrl?).

these are the configs i use. my res is 1440x900 and ive allowed for 18px tint2 panel on the bottom and 20px window decorations. it takes some fiddling to get right

~/.config/openbox/rc.xml
    PHP Code:
        <keybind key="C-A-KP_6">
          <
    action name="UnmaximizeFull"/>
          <
    action name="MoveResizeTo">
            <
    x>720</x>
            <
    y>0</y>
            <
    width>720</width>
            <
    height>860</height>
          </
    action>
        </
    keybind>
        <
    keybind key="C-A-KP_4">
          <
          <
            <
    x>0</x>
            <
    y>0</y>
            <
    width>720</width>
            <
    height>860</height>
          </
    action>
        </
    keybind>
        <
    keybind key="C-A-KP_8">
          <
          <
            <
    x>0</x>
            <
    y>0</y>
            <
    width>1440</width>
            <
    height>420</height>
          </
    action>
        </
    keybind>
        <
    keybind key="C-A-KP_2">
          <
          <
            <
    x>0</x>
            <
    y>440</y>
            <
    width>1440</width>
            <
    height>420</height>
          </
    action>
        </
    keybind>
        <
    keybind key="C-A-KP_9">
          <
          <
            <
    x>720</x>
            <
    y>0</y>
            <
    width>720</width>
            <
    height>420</height>
          </
    action>
        </
    keybind>
        <
    keybind key="C-A-KP_3">
          <
          <
            <
    x>720</x>
            <
    y>440</y>
            <
    width>720</width>
            <
    height>420</height>
          </
    action>
        </
    keybind>
        <
    keybind key="C-A-KP_1">
          <
          <
            <
    x>0</x>
            <
    y>440</y>
            <
    width>720</width>
            <
    height>420</height>
          </
    action>
        </
    keybind>
        <
    keybind key="C-A-KP_7">
          <
          <
            <
    x>0</x>
            <
    y>0</y>
            <
    width>720</width>
            <
    height>420</height>
          </
    action>
        </
    keybind>
        <
    keybind key="C-A-KP_5">
          <
    action name="ToggleMaximizeFull"/>
        </
    keybind
    Last edited by aeiah; March 3rd, 2011 at 01:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ant. View Post
    I have Xmonad working as the Window Manager inside Gnome. It wasn't too hard to get working, but took me a while to customise it how I wanted it to work.
    That looks awesome. I will have to give that a try. You should write up an official how to on this, I think a lot of people would be interested in that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

That looks awesome. I will have to give that a try. You should write up an official how to on this, I think a lot of people would be interested in that.
    Maybe if there were demand, I would write something. However I am not the most competent with Ubuntu or Linux in general - I would still class myself as a beginner in any aspects of linux. The finished result I got was really a mixture of different tutorials I found through google searches.

If you do give it a try and need any help, I'll do my best. What are you interested in doing, fully integrating Xmonad (or another TWM) into Gnome like mine?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast