Thread: UT2004: Will performance go well?

Beans

Exclamation UT2004: Will performance go well?

A while ago, I had ubuntu installed and attempted to play ut2004 without successs. That was with the ATI drivers. I got new hardware with PCI-e..

-Abit Board (model will be posted later, not at home)
    -Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3 ghz (3040 MHz according to bios)
    -nVidia GeForce 7300 GS (3d fuzion make) 256 mb PCIe 16x
    -120 gb hard drive

So now, two questions would come up.. The first one would be:

Do the drivers from nVidia work with my card? I was looking around and I saw that it doesn't work, and certain drivers will work with it(as told that someone used a different distro and it worked perfectly fine!). This brings it to the 2nd question if needed. :So, if the drivers off the nvidia site don't work, would I have to get the drivers from "3D fuzion"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: UT2004: Will performance go well?

Well, I think you need to install the nvidia driver from nividia.com than the default that comes with breezy if the card is very new.
    When successed with driver install you should get an amazing performance for UT2004 (I'll do that with my GF 6600 GT 256 mb)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm very pleased with the performance on my nvidia geforce fx 5700 ve.
    I used the drivers from nvidias website.
    Registered linux user 394273

Beans

Well, I'm confused though. I was reading something that someone had my exact card, and Breezy didn't like it, and the drivers on the distro wouldn't work, or from the site. And another linux distro worked wiht it perfectly.. What version of the drivers are you two using? The latest? or.....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by odbod
    Well, I'm confused though. I was reading something that someone had my exact card, and Breezy didn't like it, and the drivers on the distro wouldn't work, or from the site. And another linux distro worked wiht it perfectly.. What version of the drivers are you two using? The latest? or.....
    I suggest that you install Automatix, which gives you over 40 options to choose what you will have it download & install for you!!!

One of the options is the latest nVidia drivers.

Automatix works like a dream.

[EDIT:]

I have installed it on both 64 & 32 bit systems without any troubles at all!!
    Last edited by handy; May 6th, 2006 at 01:23 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ive had great success with Doom3, Quake4 and UT2004 with my nVidia 6800 and Ubuntu. Id go for Dapper though. Ive had no major problems for awhile now.

I plan on building a new pc when UT2007 hits.

Beans

I have no problems at all with breezy, so I won't be moving to dapper untill i stop hearing about all the problems that people are having with dapper!!

Beans

Well.. That auto thing sounds like a good idea... So, now, I gotta find my other hard drive so I can install ubuntu. (I just don't want to put ubuntu on a 30 gb part of a 120 gb hard drive(50% is taken up)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy
    I suggest that you install Auromatix, which gives you over 40 options to choose what you will have it download & install for you!!!

One of the options is the latest nVidia drivers.

Automatix works like a dream.

[EDIT:]

I have installed it on both 64 & 32 bit systems without any troubles at all!!
    Thank you so much for giving me that info!!! That will help a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I've had Dapper running awesomely for quite some time. Now on the other hand I just recently had to re-install on my laptop, and while standard Dapper runs well enough, I added the XGL/Compiz stuff to it and that stuff is pretty bugged still, but damn does it look cool

Unreal Tournament screams on my system under Linux (AMD64 3200+, 3GB Ram, 6800GT)

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo