Thread: Ubuntu Backup DVD issues

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu Backup DVD issues

I backed up all of my music, videos, etc. from Vista onto a 4.37 GB DVD, using about 4.0 GB. I made a thread earlier about Ubuntu not reading it since it's a "Windows Only Burnt DVD." So i popped it into the old XP machine (SP3)and THAT didn't read it, either... I burnt it on Vista, so therefore should I drag the files to a flash-drive from the DVD over a Vista VBox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu Backup DVD issues

Quote Originally Posted by agarner98 View Post
    I backed up all of my music, videos, etc. from Vista onto a 4.37 GB DVD, using about 4.0 GB. I made a thread earlier about Ubuntu not reading it since it's a "Windows Only Burnt DVD." So i popped it into the old XP machine (SP3)and THAT didn't read it, either... I burnt it on Vista, so therefore should I drag the files to a flash-drive from the DVD over a Vista VBox?
    The DVD you made in Vista - was this done from Vista: Control Panel >> Backup & Restore?

Or was it done using something like Nero?

I ask because the backup DVD format as done by "Control Panel >> Backup & Restore" is a compressed and unique format.

If you want to be able to read a Data DVD on any PC or Mac - it needs to be a common format. For that you will need burner software other then the Vista Backup.

If your goal is to share data between PCs, as long that the USB drive can be read by Vista - then an Ubuntu system (and XP system) can read it, too.

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans

What I meant by burnt was "dragged and dropped" but formatted on Vista.

Beans
    Distro

Is your goal to move data - or to get a DVD that can be read by non-vista systems?
    Last edited by Hedgehog1; February 22nd, 2011 at 05:28 AM.

Beans

It was just to move data. When I popped in the blank DVD Vista said it had to be "formatted." I did so, named the disk Windows Backup, and just dragged in all of the data I needed. All of my iTunes Music and Apps are on there Oh yeah, and Windows XP reads it as some funky mix of numbers and letters.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by agarner98 View Post
    It was just to move data. When I popped in the blank DVD Vista said it had to be "formatted." I did so, named the disk Windows Backup, and just dragged in all of the data I needed. All of my iTunes Music and Apps are on there Oh yeah, and Windows XP reads it as some funky mix of numbers and letters.
    OK - now I understand. You have created a Vista multi-session DVD.

For Data you want to share with any PC, you need to create it as a 'Disc at Once' style. This can be done on DVD+R or DVD-R media.

This is where a tool like Nero (I burn data BluRays for data storage, so I had to pony up the money for burning software).

There are a number of free burning software products - and these will allow you to do the 'Disc at Once' style that XP and Ubuntu and Mac can read, too.

Beans

Talking Re: Ubuntu Backup DVD issues

Thanks so much! I'll boot into Vista via VBox and correct this "error" right away! Much appreciated!