Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to setup MythTV for remote access?

Beans

Re: How to setup MythTV for remote access?

Thanks for clarifiying nickrout. I was viewing the 2 downloadable putty clients, via doanload manager, and one has 2 computers connected with a lightning bolt as an icon. The name beside that distro was Putty Server, but I know its just a repeat of the windows client. Don't know why they named it such. Thats the one you want.
    Using this, I have only 1 port open to the outside, and my connection via openSSH is as safe as I think I can get.

Beans

Can anyone please advise which port/-s has to be forwarded when using MythtTV remote access?

Beans

The SSH port is 22 if you are doing it that way.
    The mythweb http port is 80, but only open that up if you have security enabled via apache such as .htaccess.

Beans

And what ports needs to be forwarded, when I want to connect with Mythfrontend to Mythbackend remotely over the internet (not mythweb)?

Beans

The most obvious would have to be the connection options that are already in your current front end connections to the database. If you have a current front end setup, see what the IP and the port your frontend talks to your backend on. Open up that port. As for other ports, I can not say.

Note: Anything under a 20 Megabyte connection upstream from your router (lan speed), I forsee as nothing but pausing, errors, and look like junk on HD size stream. A good test would be to connect remotely and using mythweb, download the program you want to see. If it takes 25 minutes to download a 30 minute show it could work. If the download time of your show is greater than the length, you should avoid this. Remote access is one thing, but the frontend wasn't designed to be used over the internet. I would love to be proven wrong if you get it working though.

Why not just get a slingbox and connect to a TV remotely? It can do it on a 3-5 meg connection with its compression algorithims?? Only 1 port is needed to open and it saves you a TON of work. I will note that linux clients via the web frontend to the slingbox aren't supported.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vojta01 View Post
    And what ports needs to be forwarded, when I want to connect with Mythfrontend to Mythbackend remotely over the internet (not mythweb)?
    it is Highly undesirable to open a myth backend to the internet at large. It is not designed to be secure, it is designed for private LANs only.

So your best bet if you want to persist, and assuming you have a very large bandwidth, is to create a secure tunnel using one of the standard tools like openvpn etc.

If you really want to expose yourself to the dangers of not doing this securely, you will need at least mysql access (port 3306), and the ports that mythbackend use, 6547 plus another (I think) for streaming. Try using tcpdump on your system to check.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12