Thread: Automatically Change Desktop Wallpaper / Background to Random Image ( Gnome )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Automatically Change Desktop Wallpaper / Background to Random Image ( Gnome )

I am running Ubuntu Lucid( 10.04 ) w Gnome & I quickly tire of my wallpaper.
    I wanted to set another random HD image as the desktop background :
    - immediately from a bash shell
    - whenever with a hot-key.

After surfing the forums & hacking away at it for awhile
    i came up with this bash script. You are welcome to cut n paste it.

EDIT: This code will NOT accept files with spaces in the name -> (i.e.) late night debauchery.jpg
    but these TWO will :
    - simple but usually effective bash script : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=329164
    - my more robust perl script : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10654538

if you are unfamiliar with shell scripts here's a tutorial : http://www.freeos.com/guides/lsst/ch02sec01.html
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    DIR="$HOME/Pictures/Wallpaper" 
    GCONF="gconftool-2 -t str -s /desktop/gnome/background" 
    TYPE="-iname *.png -or -iname *.jpg"
    new_pic=( $(find $DIR/ \( $TYPE \) ! -type d | sort -R) )
    random=$[ ( $RANDOM % ${#new_pic[@]} )  ]
    $GCONF/picture_filename "${new_pic[$random]}"
    $GCONF/picture_options zoom
    This script :
    - searches the given directory and its sub-dirs for all .png & .jpg
    - uses $RANDOM to generate a "random" image selection
    - sets the background image & zooms in using gconftool-2

Obviously you'll need to substitute the $HOME/Pictures/Wallpaper for your local path
    Code:
    DIR="path_to_your_images"
    To ignore the sub-directories use
    Code:
    new_pic=( $(find $DIR/ -maxdepth 1 \( $TYPE \) ! -type d | sort -R) )
    To tie it to a Hot-Key / Keyboard Shortcut :
    - System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts
    - click add
    - give it a name
    - in the command box use full path to your script ( e.g. /home/user/bin/wallswitch.sh )
    - give it a memorable hot key combo. ( i use alt-shift-w )

Remember :
    - make your script executable
    from the command line -> chmod a+x yourscript.sh
    - put your scripts in the right place: $HOME/bin -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=368125
    Last edited by rocuan; May 5th, 2011 at 11:06 AM.

Beans

Re: Automatically Change Desktop Wallpaper / Background to Random Image ( Gnome )

Awesome Script. I have been fiddling with it a bit today, I tried to add command line arguments to it. Its still a little WIP but as long as your arguments are never invalid it should work.

I find that sometimes after the script runs it doesn't display a Picture, so all I get is a plain purple background (the Gnome default background colour I think). I think this has more to do with my file structure than the script. Im not sure if its because the file the script chose is not supported by nautilus (or whatever actually draws the wallpaper) or something else.

CLI Arguments:
    -d folder/ : sets DIR=$HOME/Pictures/wallpapers/folder/ #wallpaper directory
    -pd folder/ : sets DIR=$HOME/Pictures/folder/ #Pictures directory
    -ad /folder/ : sets DIR=/folder/ #Absolute directory

-r #: Sets the recursive depth. (if you don't set -r, it will go infinitely deep.)
    -nr : non-recursive. Sets the recursive depth to 1.

-l : sets the script to loop (indefinitely)
    -t # : specifies the time between changes, in seconds. Using -t without -l is useless, but won't cause errors.

If you supply more than one directory argument (ie. -d and -pd) then the argument you supplied last should over-ride all previous arguments of the same type. The same applies for -nr and -r.

I hope that makes sense to you.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Parse command line args. (Please understand that there are no 'fail safes' for incorrect arguments.)
    while [[ -n "$1" ]] ; do
    	case $1 in
    		"-d")  DIR="$HOME/Pictures/wallpapers/$2"; shift 2;; #directory
    		"-pd") DIR="$HOME/Pictures/$2"; shift 2;; #Pictures directory
    		"-ad") DIR=$2; shift 2;; #absolute directory
    		"-nr") depth=1; shift;; #no recursive
    		"-r")  depth=$2; shift 2;; #specify recursive depth
    		"-l")  loop=true; shift;; #loop
    		"-t")  time=$2; shift 2;; #set time between changes, in seconds.
    	esac
    done

if [[ -z ${DIR} ]] ; then
    	DIR="$HOME/Pictures/wallpapers"
    fi
    if [[ -z ${time} ]] ; then
    	time=2
    fi
    #if [[ -n "$1" ]] ; then
    #	DIR="$HOME/Pictures/wallpapers/$1"
    #else
    #	DIR="$HOME/Pictures/wallpapers" 
    #fi

TYPE="-iname *.png -or -iname *.jpg"

while true ; do
    	if [[ -n "${depth}" ]] ; then	
    		# To ignore the sub-directories use
    		new_pic=( $(find $DIR/ -maxdepth $depth \( $TYPE \) ! -type d) )
    	else
    		new_pic=( $(find $DIR/ \( $TYPE \) ! -type d) )
    	fi

if [[ -z "${loop}" ]] ; then
    		break
    	fi
    	sleep $time
    done
    EDIT: I was thinking, that if you set it to loop (using -l) then it should see if another (prior) instance already exists using ps -C $0 (or something) and kill itself, otherwise, just continue (that would create a new instance). Im just not sure how to differentiate between a prior instance on loop, and the current instance that was just created. If that makes sense?
    Last edited by rothalem; February 25th, 2011 at 02:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Automatically Change Desktop Wallpaper / Background to Random Image ( Gnome )

I had fun with this little hack & I am stoked u tweaked it for your box rothalem!
    I will freely admit that my above example script does no error checking either.
    My intent was to post only the meat of the code & skip the potatoes.
    I tried to add command line arguments to it. Its still a little WIP
    try getopts for arguments/flags it does alot of the dirty work for you : http://aplawrence.com/Unix/getopts.html

I find that sometimes after the script runs it doesn't display a Picture, so all I get is a plain purple background
    Are there spaces in your image file names? odd symbols? spaces in the folder name?

If your jpg has spaces like spelunking for trolls.jpg, the array will be delineated at each word, the first being : spelunking.
    When gconftool tries to set spelunking as the background image, it will fail & reset the wallpaper to the purple default.

You may want to define a folder with spaces thru getopts. Throw a flag & set it. e.g. ./wallswap.sh -f
    Code:
    while getopts ":dfrt:" o; do 
         f) DIR="$HOME/pictures/fun\ with\ a\ flame\ thrower";;
    I was thinking, that if you set it to loop then it should see if another (prior) instance already exists
    Good idea. That is why the sleep hack is sketchy.
    Either of these should hunt down & kill previous processes
    Code:
    # KILL previous script processes
    name=( $( pgrep "wallswitch.sh" ) )
    for (( i = 0 ; i < ${#name[@]} - 1 ; i++ )); do
        kill -9 ${name[$i]}
    done
    or
    Code:
    killall -gqo 1s $( echo "$0" | awk -F\/ '{ print $NF }' )
    note: brute force killing can be unpredictable and to Kill with Care : http://linux.byexamples.com/archives...ess-with-care/

Using sleep can result in sloppy code but this will flip the background every 15 min.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

kill -9 ${name[$i]}
    done

DIR="$HOME/Pictures/Wallpaper" 
    TYPE="-iname *.png -or -iname *.jpg -or -name *.jpeg"
    DEPTH="-maxdepth 1"
    TIME="900"

# catch command line FLAGS
    while getopts ":d:rt:" o; do 
      case $o in
        d) DIR=$(echo "${OPTARG}" | sed -e "s/\/*$//");;   # set Dir & cut trailing slash
        r) DEPTH="";;                                      # search recursively
        t) TIME=$OPTARG;;                                  # sleep time in sec
      esac
    done

# LOOP
    while true; do
        new_pic=( $(find $DIR/ $DEPTH \( $TYPE \) ! -type d | sort -R) )
        sleep $TIME;
    done
    again no error checks. if you feed it garbage it will die.

now you can run the script at startup & change whenever you want with hotkey etc
    either of the following will change the background to a random image from the parent dir /home/user/Pictures & all of its sub-dirs once every minute:
    Code:
    ./wallswap.sh -r -t 60 -d /home/user/Pictures &
    ./wallswap.sh -d /home/user/Pictures/ -rt 60 &
    notice if your a TAB-complete junkie either ../Pictures or /Pictures/ will work
    Last edited by rocuan; May 5th, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

Beans

Thanks. I will play with it later today, I don't exactly have time right now.

Neat getopts. I was hoping that there was something like that, I think it was a perl script I once tweaked which did something similar.

I am a tab complete junkie. I love linux, and I think Im starting to like bash.

Thanks again.

Beans

If I am in (so my presentWorkingDir is) a dir that has a *.jpg or *.png or *.jpeg filetype then the wildcards expand and bug out the find command with the following error:

find: paths must precede expression: linuxVSvista.jpg
    Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [-Olevel] [-D help|tree|search|stat|rates|opt|exec] [path...] [expression]
    /home/knoppies/scripts/wallswitch.sh: line 64: ( 12462 % 0 ) : division by 0 (error token is ") ")

linuxVSvista.jpg is the second image I have in wallpapers, If I am in a subdir, then it tends to pick the second image of that subdir)
    I know that division by 0 is caused because find returns an error, rather than pictures.
    Does anybody know of possible causes/solutions? I have fiddled with it and I am unable to work it out.
    EDIT: I have worked something out: bash/find tends to auto-expand *.jpg like so:
    ++ find /home/knoppies/Pictures/wallpapers/cars/ '(' -iname '*.png' -or -iname fireSkellaton.jpg linuxVSvista.jpg noise-brands-3450.jpg turntable.jpg xbmcwallpaper.jpg -or -iname '*.jpeg' ')' '!' -type d

To fix the problem I used "cd /" to change my working dir to one that I am certain exists, and almost certain contains no .jpg/,png/.jpeg files in it.

My new code (the following code has been fixed of the above error, and should work):

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# add -x to the shabang for some more debug info.

# http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10602790

# WARNING: This script does no sanity checks on CLI arguments: Garbage in=Garbage out
    # Known bugs:
    #	I find that sometimes after the script runs it doesn't display a Picture, so all I get is a plain purple background (the Gnome default background colour I think). I think this has more to do with my file structure than the script. I suspect that if it chooses a file in a Directory that has a space in the name, or a file with a space in the name, then the script fails. After cleaning up my wallpapers directory/file names, I no longer get any 'purple backgrounds'

#	CLI Arguments:
    #	-d folder/ : sets directory(relative to working dir) to search for wallpapers.
    #	-D folder/ : sets directory(absolute) to search for wallpapers.
    #	-w folder/ : sets directory(relative to wallpapers) to search for wallpapers.
    #	-m #: Sets the maxdepth of the recursive search.
    #	-r #: recursive. (default)
    #	-R  : non-recursive. Sets the recursive depth to 1.
    #	-t #: specifies the time between changes, in seconds. Loops indefinitely
    #	-h  : TODO: prints help text.

# -f to disable globbing
    # -f
        kill -9 ${name[$i]}
    done

DIR="$HOME/Pictures/wallpapers"
    depth=""
    verbose=0
    option="zoom"
    # I need to implement some type of help.
    # catch command line FLAGS (Please understand that there are no 'fail safes' for incorrect arguments.)
    while getopts ":d:D:w:m:rRt:hvo:" o; do 
    	case $o in
    		d) # TODO: if first character is / then (absolute) else
    				DIR=`pwd`/$(echo "${OPTARG}" | sed -e "s/\/*$//");; # set DIR(presentWorkingDir) & cut trailing slash
    			#fi
    			#;;
    		D) DIR=$(echo "${OPTARG}" | sed -e "s/\/*$//");; # set Dir(absolute) & cut trailing slash
    		w) DIR=$HOME/Pictures/wallpapers/$(echo "${OPTARG}" | sed -e "s/\/*$//");; #set DIR (wallpapers) & cut trailing slash
    		m) depth="-maxdepth $OPTARG";;	# Set MaxDepth 
    		R) depth="-maxdepth 1";;      # Set MaxDepth=1, no recursive
    		r) depth="";; # Searches files recursively (default behaviour)
    		t) time=$OPTARG;;		# sleep time in sec; loops indefinitely.
    		v) verbose="1";; # OBVIOUSLY sets verbose to true. Prints out the chosenPic:
    		o) option=$OPTARG;;
    		h) # echo "I should echo some command line help here."
    		default) echo "Usage: $0 [-d path -D path -w path -m # -r -R -t # -h -v -o option"
    			echo "-d path (relative from present working dir (pwd) )"
    			echo "-D path (absolute)"
    			echo "-w path (relative from $HOME/Pictures/wallpapers/ )"
    			echo "-m # max depth"
    			echo "-r recursive (default behaviour)"
    			echo "-R non-recursive. sets maxdepth=1"
    			echo "-t # time (in seconds) between updates. If omitted then updates once and quits"
    			echo "-h prints this help text"
    			echo "-v sets verbose to true. Prints out the filename of the file that has been selected."
    			echo "	Please understand that if you have spaces in your filestructure, it will confuse this script, and your wallpaper will return to the default colour"
    			echo "-o option WHERE option takes on the values: 'none', 'wallpaper', 'centered', 'scaled', 'stretched', 'zoom', 'spanned'."
    			echo "Created and edited by rocuan AND rothalem (on ubuntuforums)."
    			echo "http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10602790"
    	esac
    done
    cd / # an attempt at fixing a bug. Bash auto-expands *.png *.jpg *.jpeg when find tries to use them as $TYPE. It messes with my script. This (mostly) fixes the issue (assuming / contains no such files) 
    # echo $verbose # DEBUG
    TYPE='-iname *.png -or -iname *.jpg -or -iname *.jpeg'
    #TYPE='-iname \*.png -or -iname \*.jpg -or -iname \*.jpeg'
    #TYPE='-iname "*.png" -or -iname "*.jpg" -or -iname "*.jpeg"'

while true ; do
    	# echo "find $DIR/ $depth \( $TYPE \) ! -type d" #DEBUG
    	if [[ -n "${depth}" ]] ; then	# specify a maxdepth
    		new_pic=( $(find $DIR/ $depth \( $TYPE \) ! -type d) )
    	else
    	fi

# echo "ChosenPic:" #DEBUG
    	# echo ${new_pic[$random]} #DEBUG
    	if test ${verbose} -gt 0 ; then # If verbose, print out the chosenPic:
    		echo "ChosenPic: ${new_pic[$random]}"
    	fi
    	$GCONF/picture_options $option # Possible values are "none", "wallpaper", "centered", "scaled", "stretched", "zoom", "spanned". Default = zoom
    	if [[ -z "${time}" ]] ; then #If time is not set, break loop (so the script finishes).
    		break
    	fi
    	if test ${time} -lt 0 ; then #If time is negative (illegal), break loop (so the script finishes).
    		echo "ERROR: Time (-t) needs to be set to a positive number (in seconds). EXITING!"
    		break
    	fi
    	sleep $time
    done
    Last edited by rothalem; March 27th, 2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: edited CODE, found my problem, added more debug info, added features, polished it a touch

Beans

I found a better way using Perl which allows files and directories with spaces in them. Make sure you install File::Random from CPAN first:

Code:
    sudo cpan File::Random
    The script:

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    # SSF 040311 Change Gnome2 wallpaper to something random 

use strict;
    use File::Random qw/random_file/;

my $dir="$ENV{HOME}/Pictures";             # put your wallpaper folder here
    my $gconf="gconftool-2 -t str -s /desktop/gnome/background";
    my $file=random_file(-dir=>$dir,-recursive=>1,-check=>qr/\.(?:jpg|jpeg|png)$/i);
    print "Selected $dir/$file\n";
    system qq{$gconf/picture_filename "$dir/$file"};
    system qq{$gconf/picture_options scaled};  # put other options here, I think scaled works best
    exit;
    You can call it from cron if you want to rotate on a schedule.

Hope that helps,
    SSF
    Last edited by sflitman; April 4th, 2011 at 08:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Like it sflitman !!
    This line is silky smooth :
    Code:
    my $file=random_file(-dir=>$dir,-recursive=>1,-check=>qr/\.(?:jpg|jpeg|png)$/i);
    I took it and ran with it : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10654538

rothalem, I don't know if you fixed your problems yet. If not, I'll drop some suggestions.

There is a slim chance it could be as simple as your script folder location.
    It is good coding practice to have all your personal programs in your $HOME/bin folder
    How to export that path to your .bashrc : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=368125
    That way all of your scripts are accessible from anywhere & you don't need the ./ every time
    ( I personally also get annoyed with the .sh on the end of my script name, so I never use it )

As you know, you are getting two errors :
    1. Find Fails
    Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [-Olevel] [-D help|tree|search|stat|rates|opt|exec] [path...] [expression]
    2. Division by Zero
    /home/knoppies/scripts/wallswitch.sh: line 64: ( 12462 % 0 ) : division by 0 (error token is ") ")
    Working backwards :
    When the calculator tries dividing 12462 by 0 it dies.
    The error is thrown here :
    Code:
    12462 is the RANDOM number
    0 is the count of items in the array new_pic[]

The array new_pic is filled with the image files retrieved by the find command
    If find fails, the array stays empty, & the item count is zero which throws the division by zero error.

easy error check :
    Code:
    # is directory empty
    if [ ${#new_pic[@]} == "0"  ]; then
         exit 1;
    fi
    So the main question is, why does find fail?
    I think part of the problem is the delcaration of $TYPE
    TYPE='-iname *.png -or -iname *.jpg -or -iname *.jpeg'
    This most likely should be "double quoted"
    I suspect bash gets confused at the \( and \)
    Bash can be sketchy about literal substitution within a script calling a system command
    Try changing the single quotes to double, but, You might have better luck skipping this substitution all together
    Code:
    new_pic=( $(find $DIR/ $DEPTH \( -iname *.png -or -iname *.jpg -or -name *.jpeg \) ! -type d | sort -R) )

All that being said, I am not exactly sure why find bails here :
    But, most likely, the script is sending bad data to find.
    which could mean $DIR is not set correctly at some point in your code
    With all the substitutions/calls happening there ( $DIR, $DEPTH, $TYPE, !-type d, sort -R ) it is easy to feed it garbage

- Happy Hacking
    Last edited by rocuan; April 13th, 2011 at 10:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

rothalem, I was cruising your code again & realized you gave me a shout out !
    Thanx man that's cool of you.
    Since my name is attached to that code, I feel I can offer a few more suggestions :

Readability :
    The functionality of the code is paramount but all codes need style
    A big part of style is how it READS in a terminal window to other coders : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post10673262

That being said, you may not want to indent your loops so far
    You put all that work in to getting it running, make it look good too
    It could be it is just a cut-n-paste problem on the forums, if it is i apologize.

Functionality:
    Your while loop needs a little love. You don't need this if / else
    Code:
    if [[ -n "${depth}" ]] ; then    # specify a maxdepth
    else
    fi
    $depth is set to "" (an empty string by default) so find will pass right over it. promise.

It is good that your testing the validity of $time
    You might dig this :
    if time is a positive integer: sleep. else: break.
    Code:
    if [[ $time =~ ^[0-9]+$ ]]; then
       sleep $time
    else
       break
    fi
    Tip: If u use getopts to "flip a switch" by setting a variable to true
    Code:
    v) verbose=1;;
    Then on most bash variants you can check if "the switch is on" simply by
    Code:
    if [ $verbose ]; then
    fi
    all together now
    Code:
    while true ; do
        if [ $verbose ]; then
            echo "ChosenPic: ${new_pic[$random]}"
        fi
        $GCONF/picture_options $option
        if [[ $time =~ ^[0-9]+$ ]]; then
            sleep $time
        else
            break
        fi
    done
    EDIT: was just thinking if you set time to negative one as the default, then the script would only run once unless you defined a time.

For me, I find it easier to remember if I keep the help option standard on all my work
    Code:
    wallswap --help
    this is an easy way :
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    if [ "$1" == "--help" ]; then
        echo " $0 <option> <arg> "
        exit 1
    fi
    no reason to run thru the main body of code for a help statement
    In your code you could write this as a usage function & call if from your h) and default) case in getopts.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    usage()
    {
        echo " $0 <option> <arg> "
        exit 1
    }
    while getopts ":d:D:w:m:rRt:hvo:" o; do 
        h) usage ;;
        default) usage ;;
    Last edited by rocuan; April 16th, 2011 at 12:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

rocuan, this doesn't supports spaces in the image file name, since
    Code:
     the array will be delineated at each word
    I don't know how the array is generated (which part of script is responsible for it), so could you help me to solve this problem?

Thakns

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had fun with this code but made a mistake when I posted it.
    I don't use files with spaces so this code will not accept file names with spaces.

If you want to use a bash script that accepts file names with spaces try this : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=329164
    or check out the modified version I wrote in perl http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10654538

If your still interested in how this one works, I'll break it down :

The array is called new_pic and is filled with a list of images obtained from the find command( man pages for find : http://ss64.com/bash/find.html )
    It is defined here :
    Code:
    new_pic=( $(find $DIR/ \( $TYPE \) ! -type d | sort -R) )
    - The outer parentheses indicate that new_pic is an array : new_pic=( stuff )
    - The second parentheses tell bash to run the command & return the results: $( command )
    - The inner parentheses tell the command what type of file to look for: \( file extension \)

! -type d tells find to ignore the directories( probably not needed if your folder names never contain png|jpg etc )
    | sort -R tells bash to sort the results randomly( helps make RANDOM more random when choosing a pic )

$DIR is the directory to search
    $TYPE is the file extension to look for
    Code:
    TYPE="-iname *.png -or -iname *.jpg -or -iname *.jpeg"
    -iname means ignore case( UPPER or lower case letters )

Basically, find runs off and locates all the images in the Wallpaper directory and prints a long list, we snag it & stuff it in the array.

Test it on your box by going to :
    Main Menu -> Accessories -> Terminal

And type in the following( substitute Pictures for your directory full of photos )
    Code:
    cd Pictures/
    find . -iname *.png -or -iname *.jpg
    You will get a long, vertical list of all the files that match anything.png or whatever.jpg

All I did was redirect that list into the array new_pic & select a random image from it.

Where the code breaks down
    : passing the results of find into the array.

As you know by now, basic Linux commands do not like names with spaces.
    The array chops the results at every white space & the code donks out.

Fix ?: There are bash solutions to this, but they are annoying.

Try one of these instead
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=329164
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10654538
    Last edited by rocuan; April 16th, 2011 at 12:46 PM.