Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop with nVidia GT 540M and "Optimus"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Laptop with nVidia GT 540M and "Optimus"

I am looking to purchase a new laptop, a Sager NP5160, which has an nVidia GT 540M and "Optimus" graphics switching, to the internal GPU in the Core i7 CPU.
    I know that, as yet, there is no support in Linux for either the GT 540M or Optimus - but does anyone know if it is likely to be supported in the near future?
    And what about forcing the computer to use the internal Intel GPU (GMA HD), which should have support in Linux?
    I'm not so fussed about automatic switching, but if I can at least manually override it to use the Intel GPU then it will work until there is a Linux driver for the GT 540M.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Laptop with nVidia GT 540M and "Optimus"

I have bought an Acer laptop with Nvidia GT540M / Optimus Tech two days ago. If I install the recommended driver, black screen and GDM is not started.Without driver,effects work perfect.
    -------------------------------
    Ubuntu 10.04 user
    MSI Megabook S260_Centrino 1.86 GHZ_1.5 GB Ram

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Laptop with nVidia GT 540M and "Optimus"

So, are you saying that it "just works"? Is this with the Noveau or whatever the default driver is? And compiz works? Have you tried watching HD videos with it?

Thank you very much!

Beans

Optimus has about 0% chance of getting nvidia support anytime soon. It might run in a while(IMO 1 year + minimum) with nouveau, but thats no help at all really. No VDPAU, without gallium you get virtually no 3D performance and even with gallium you get very poor 3D performance.

Unless there is a BIOS switch you cant really force the intel video. It will be used anyway, the main advantage to being able to force the intel video is that in at least some cases, it disables the nVidia GPU. Without that BIOS switch, its unlikely you will be able to disable the nVidia GPU, so it will just suck battery power and create heat.

IMO......find a different laptop if you want to run linux on it. Some of the earlier i7 models dont have optimus (no intel video on the earlier i7s), that might be yout best bet.

BTW, nVidia doesnt have even have windows drivers up for the GT5XXM series. If you go to the GT540M page and then click on "Downlaod the latest drivers here" link you go to this page-

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_drivers.html

Looks like nvidia might be splitting 'notebook' drivers of the standard geforce drivers. Some bits of that page make me think that they could be dropping support for 'M' (moblie) GPUs with linux totally. More bad news for nvidia linux laptop fans.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Laptop with nVidia GT 540M and "Optimus"

I asked the manufacturer about a BIOS switch for the nVidia/Intel GPU, and there isn't an option for that. The reason I was wanting this particular laptop (Sager NP5160) is that it is available without an OS, meaning that I don't have to pay the so-called "Microsoft Tax". It is almost impossible to get a laptop without Windows on it. And System76 don't ship to Australia.

Ideally I think I would only need the Intel GPU anyway, my current laptop has only an Intel GMA and it does all that I need. Maybe I could just remove the nVidia graphics card altogether? It would be a bit of a waste, but it would hugely improve battery life. Is the Intel GMA HD supported by linux?

Beans

How much are you paying for this laptop? Where from?

As far as the 'microsoft tax' goes, if the laptop is more expensive than similar models with windows, you might as well have paid.

System76 dont actually build laptops, they just get them from a manufacturer (clevo mostly IIRC). You should be able to buy the same laptops as what system76 sells with a different brandname easy enough.

AFAIK, you wont be able to remove the nVidia GPU (its only possible with laptops with an MXM slot, and they are rare).

Intel iX GMA does have linux support. Its not as good as windows support for the same chip in a lot of ways, but it should work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0df4 (rev a1)
    It is possible that Intel integrated card works but not nvidia
    I haven't tried any HD movie.
    -------------------------------
    Ubuntu 10.04 user
    MSI Megabook S260_Centrino 1.86 GHZ_1.5 GB Ram

Beans
    Distro

OK, thanks everyone. I think I'm going to reconsider Optimus then. On second thoughts, I think a small and lightweight laptop would be better - I can use a desktop for power usage so I'll look for a small (possibly tablet) laptop instead.

Beans

Hello folks

I do have an nVidia GT 540M, are you saying there's no way I can make it work properly? There's a VGA button lid on the computer, is that the Optimus switch?

I've been trying to find out what I should do to get it working, at least increase the screen resolution. Any hints on how to do that? At least get partial support?

Also, how can I find out if the Optimus is turned on or not?

Argh, this is frustrating... I'd had switched from ATI to nvidia since they showed more linux support and here we are...

Beans

Question Re: Laptop with nVidia GT 540M and "Optimus"

I have problems with a Dell XPS15 with nVidia GT 540M and "Optimus" because I need to use OpenGL and Glut (not running on Ubuntu 11.04).
    I have only a way to skip the problem afflicting me: run Ubuntu in Live Mode. Stuffs seems work on this temporary session.

Is it possible to modify the linux boot to get nVidia card working properly like in live mode?

thank for answering,
    benoch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast