Thread: A few growing pains in Xubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Cool A few growing pains in Xubuntu...

I'm rather new to Linux, used Ubuntu (with Gnome) for some time in my notebook, then had some problems with ATI proprietary drivers, whenever I updated to a new kernel through update manager ended up with a black screen with no login. Switched back to windows because I needed a stable system to work on college.

Now I decided to give a shot on Xubuntu 10.04, I'm very impressed with it's speed and I do some programming mainly in Java and I need to check if my apps are doing multithreading correctly, I could check it in gnome system monitor through cpu usage it had two colored lines for each CPU, that is not true in Xubuntu system manager tough.

Also I had some troubles with the taskbar when I try to drag and drop items to it, found a workaround by opening application search and dropping the apps to the launcher, also when I try to rearrange them I have to push them right constatly to get them in the order I want them to stay, which is really boring.

Here is my system:
    Aspire 5535, 2.0Ghz AMD X2 QL-62, 4GB RAM.

What I need to do:
    - check visually on xubuntu system monitor a graph/indication of each cpu core usage.
    - an easier way to arrange icons on the taskbar.
    - add transparecy to taskbar and windows.

I'm liking using XFCE but I found it to be a bit crippled compared to gnome usability, still it's damn fast!
    I found this issues in the first hour using Xubuntu which is a bit demoralizing.
    Will these issues be corrected on the new XFCE 4.8 in Xubuntu 11.04?

Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: A few growing pains in Xubuntu...

Just install gnome-system-monitor. All the dependencies are satisfied. Xfwm4's compositor sucks, just use compiz.

Hope this helps!
    Microsoft:"Why do you not use Windows?" Me: "Did you have to ask?"
    Enigmagroup.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Unhappy Re: A few growing pains in Xubuntu...

Well, that didn't help much.
    I instaled gnome-system-monitor and compiz, I was checking the cpu usage on gnome and changing window themes at the same time I was updating my windows server 2008 r2 on virtualbox on a separerate desktop.
    I don't know WHY the system stopped, got to the command line and then to login screen.
    I was unable to login again, now everytime I try to login it gets to login screen over and over again. Won't login with any account.

I fear I have to reinstall Xubuntu again, I entered the command line and uninstalled compiz...no luck.

Any thoughs??