Thread: Volume/Brightness keys stopped working

Beans

Volume/Brightness keys stopped working

I have a thinkpad edge 14 with 10.10 on it. Keys have always been fine no problems. Today I go to adjust the volume and the volume keys are not working nor are the brightness control keys. The thinkpads have automatic function keys. They all have previously worked. I know I did an update earlier but it was unrelated to my keyboard. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a fix? Thanks

Also, I checked my key settings, they are still at XF86 controls

Beans

Re: Volume/Brightness keys stopped working

bump

Beans

bump

Beans

Thanks for the help everyone!

Haha -
    Anyway, I fixed the issue. If anyone else has the problem - which I am sure some do - the fix is a bios update. Since the problem occurred both in windows and linux I knew it was a bios issue. I have a thinkpad so I went to lenovo's site, downloaded the latest bios and bam - everything works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I just had the exact same problem with my thinkpad edge 15. The bios update from Lenovo worked, and all keys have become responsive again.

I used the bootable CD image from:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-75111.html

Thanks, emtdan, for leaving the info online. I hope others will find it as well.

pze7

Beans

Thank you, entdan, for your research. On my Thinkpad Edge 13 (Intel) model, I encountered the exact same problem. I downloaded the bootable CD from Lenovo's site (for the Edge 13 model) and used the upgrade program. This restored my FN keys.

It is weird, though, how the keys stopped working after working fine for a couple of months and required a BIOS upgrade to fix the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Re: Volume/Brightness keys stopped working

I have a Thinkpad edge 15 with same issues, upgraded BIOS and things started working, and then it (media keys + cable (un)plugged detection stopped again
    The BIOS update wont run now because it detects its already up to date. Any idea anyone?

Beans

Just wanted to thank you for coming back and posting your solution, I spent several days trying to figure this out and would have never thought about checking the bios especially because I suspected it stopped working after a kernel upgrade. Upgrading the bios also fixed the issue for me. Thanks