Thread: minecraft doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Red face minecraft doesn't work

Hi all.

I am trying to play Minecraft, found here:
    http://www.minecraft.net/

When I try to play Minecraft Classic, I get a black screen and nothing else. No error messages, nothing.

On the off-chance that this is a Java issue, I went to the Sun Java site and tried to verify what version I have. They say I have Java 1.6.20, and that the latest version is 1.6.24.

I tried installing the bin package, but when I verify I have the new version, it tells me I have 1.6.20.

Okay, (I tell myself) maybe it's a problem with the web browser, since the Classic version uses a web browser to connect to the game. I restarted Firefox. Verify still tells me the new version isn't in place.

Okay, (I tell myself) maybe I need to reboot. So I did that, but the Verify still tells me I have the old version.

I don't know what to do. Would someone please tell me what to do (other than go back to Windows, which apparently works perfectly) ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: minecraft doesn't work

I just upgraded to ubuntu 10.04 and now I have this exact same problem. Minecraft beta works when run as a jar outside firefox, but it does not work in browser. I get a minecraft loading screen for a split second, then there is a black screen, and that's it, no error messages.

My previous ubuntu version was 9.10 and I could play in browser (both classic and beta) just fine.

I believe I had the official sun version of java when I was running ubuntu 9.10. Since moving to 10.04, I have been using openjdk. I will download the official sun java, try minecraft again in-browser, and report my results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Did it work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yes, that did the trick!

I just removed everything openjdk, & installed sun-java6-bin & sun-java6-plugin, and now I'm playing both classic & beta in browser!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have ubuntu 11.10 and would to try that. I tell you guys if it work in mine too. Thanks.

Beans

Exclamation Re: minecraft doesn't work

When I Tried Removing All Java And Installing Sun Java When I Go To Minecraft Classic I Get Blank Black Screen With Small White Bar At Bottom But Mozilla Does Not Ask Me To Run The Java Applet...

Any Suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by T31337 View Post
    When I Tried Removing All Java And Installing Sun Java When I Go To Minecraft Classic I Get Blank Black Screen With Small White Bar At Bottom But Mozilla Does Not Ask Me To Run The Java Applet...

Any Suggestions?
    Stick with Openjdk, update Minecrafts lwjgl-files instead. Try the Installer I got linked in my signature, it can do that for you.
    This is my signature

Beans

Question Re: minecraft doesn't work

nope still downloads files than blanks out to a black screen;

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.