Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Red face minecraft doesn't work

Hi all.

I am trying to play Minecraft, found here:
    http://www.minecraft.net/

When I try to play Minecraft Classic, I get a black screen and nothing else. No error messages, nothing.

On the off-chance that this is a Java issue, I went to the Sun Java site and tried to verify what version I have. They say I have Java 1.6.20, and that the latest version is 1.6.24.

I tried installing the bin package, but when I verify I have the new version, it tells me I have 1.6.20.

Okay, (I tell myself) maybe it's a problem with the web browser, since the Classic version uses a web browser to connect to the game. I restarted Firefox. Verify still tells me the new version isn't in place.

Okay, (I tell myself) maybe I need to reboot. So I did that, but the Verify still tells me I have the old version.

I don't know what to do. Would someone please tell me what to do (other than go back to Windows, which apparently works perfectly) ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: minecraft doesn't work

I just upgraded to ubuntu 10.04 and now I have this exact same problem. Minecraft beta works when run as a jar outside firefox, but it does not work in browser. I get a minecraft loading screen for a split second, then there is a black screen, and that's it, no error messages.

My previous ubuntu version was 9.10 and I could play in browser (both classic and beta) just fine.

I believe I had the official sun version of java when I was running ubuntu 9.10. Since moving to 10.04, I have been using openjdk. I will download the official sun java, try minecraft again in-browser, and report my results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did it work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yes, that did the trick!

I just removed everything openjdk, & installed sun-java6-bin & sun-java6-plugin, and now I'm playing both classic & beta in browser!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have ubuntu 11.10 and would to try that. I tell you guys if it work in mine too. Thanks.

Beans

Exclamation Re: minecraft doesn't work

When I Tried Removing All Java And Installing Sun Java When I Go To Minecraft Classic I Get Blank Black Screen With Small White Bar At Bottom But Mozilla Does Not Ask Me To Run The Java Applet...

Any Suggestions?