Thread: Accessing the Folder Context Menu when the Window is Full of Files

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Accessing the Folder Context Menu when the Window is Full of Files

It's hard to describe this problem in a few words for search purposes or for the thread title, but this is what I want to do:

In a (Thunar) file manager window, I can right-click in the space where there aren't any files listed to get a context menu which will bring up some of the options I use frequently like opening a terminal window and creating an empty file.

If there are lots of the files in the folder so that I have to scroll down to see them all, there isn't the "white space" after the file list where I can right-click to get this menu.

How can I access this menu in these circumstances?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Accessing the Folder Context Menu when the Window is Full of Files

I sort of understand what you are getting at - but I can get the right click menus ok - perhaps this is one of those case where a couple of screenshots would help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Elfy; December 10th, 2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: screenies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Whenever I've had that problem I do 1 of 2 things (or both): resize the window to make it larger, or change the view in the window.

Be inspired by phreaking.
    http://tinyurl.com/about-phreaking
    And don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It would be nice if you could right-click on the folder name in the pathbar to get the same context menu you would get when there is "white space" available in the window.

The other thing you can't do without the "white space" is to use it to unselect any files. I find it useful to be able to do this so that the status bar information changes back to the total number of files & disc space used in the folder. Without the white space, the only way to get this back is to go up to the parent directory and back down again.

Perhaps there might be some sort of configuration option which could be used to extend the scroll bar so that you can always scroll down beyond the last file and get a bit of white space?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

In the "compact" view that you have shown screenshots of, there is white space to the fight of the filenames. If you click a file to highlight it, you can see the area that relates to that file. Right-clicking to the right of the highlighted are gets the context menu for the containing directory instead. It's easier to tell the difference if you try clicking, say, a zip file and clicking to the right of the zip file, because the context menus are different.

The ony time I can't find white space to click in in the "detailed" view, and the only way I have found is to change the view type then click.

Beans

The menu key on the keyboard should bring up the context menu, so long as the Thunar window is active, and you don't have a file/folder selected.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.