Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop your ISP from tracking your Net usage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Stop your ISP from tracking your Net usage

Hi, I've been reading an interesting article about the fact that ISPs are able to collect net data from web users.
    What I think It's missing in the article is that in some locations it's compulsory for ISPs to collect and save all your networking data (For example, in Spain, where I live, it's compusory to store people's activity on the net for a period of 6 months (minimum) to 2 years (maximum).
    In the article they state that Witopia can do the job of encrypting your browsing activity and therefore mantain your privacy. Do you know any open source or, at least, free alternative to Witopia? What do you think about the article and about the ways of safeguarding your privacy?

Cheers.

Acheron3

Beans
    Distro

Re: Stop your ISP from tracking your Net usage

You can use tor network to encrypt your browsing. I also know, that there is a plugin for Firefox, called tor button (search in that direction )
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans

privacy is a myth in these times.
    information is a part of modern society.
    right now someone is buying or selling your info, there's nothing you can do.

go here, type your name, see how much is out there about you.
    http://www.spokeo.com/
    Last edited by kerry_s; February 19th, 2011 at 02:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post

Tried my name ... it had zero hits and asked me if I type the name correctly... I did

But I'm a security freak ... I even shred my old mail (the actual physical snail mail).
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I agree that our data is more and more exposed to the world every day. However I think we should be able to make moves to minimize this exposure.
    I recommend you Track Me If You Can documentary, if you have not already seen it.

Tried my name ... it had zero hits and asked me if I type the name correctly... I did
    0 hits too haha. xd

You can use tor network to encrypt your browsing. I also know, that there is a plugin for Firefox, called tor button (search in that direction )
    Hey I think Tor it's a very useful resource! Thank you. In addition it's quite easy to install in ubuntu.
    I've done some research about it and I have found that although it's a very good program to protect the transport of data it doesn't protect you from sites you visit to see your identifying information.
    In order to solve this and to have a pretty complete privacy protection in your browser you could just try to connect Tor with a proxy like Privoxy.
    I've done that and it seems to work althought browsing have become quite slow.

Cheers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post

Neat site, thanks for sharing

My username and email came up with my accounts for all the sites that I registered for using the same username and/or email, but I never fill out any personal information on those sites and when I do its a lie, so really they know nothing about me. Ive also never used data mining sites like facebook, myspace, twitter, etc..

My real name came up with hundreds of hits from people with the same name, which when narrowed down using information that most people wouldnt know about me, I did find my address, but thats about it.

Im sure our government knows everything about me (what school i attended, what was my gpa, where I work, who my friends are, my anual income, etc..) but thats another matter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Firstly you have to see if there are laws prohibiting you from bypassing monitoring measures.

Information passed through the Tor network has to be decrypted at some point, and these "exit points" have been used in the past by people with appropriate skills to obtain information. Personally, i'd never use it.

If I wanted to avoid my ISP monitoring my web traffic i'd purchase a hosted server somewhere else and tunnel to that. Most ISP's would only monitor home/business outgoing web traffic and not co-located server web traffic.

Even this solution is vulnerable to monitoring but being further up the chain than your home connection makes it less likely.

Use HTTPS wherever possible.

Beans

@teejaybee

Tor is ok for anonymity but not security.

Anyone can host an exit node, and anyone with an exit node can sniff the information, but they dont know where it originated (unless your sending info that gives you away) i.e anonymous but insecure.

It goes from your machine encrypted to the 1st node, which passes it to a 2nd node, then a 3rd, and so forth until it reaches the exit node where its decrypted. Only the master servers know the full route, all logs are stored on ram disks (volatile memory), and theyre deleted after 24 hours irrevocably. If however they are confronted by law enforcement officials with a warrant before that 24 hours is up they are bound by law to hand over whatever they have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I see nothing wrong with the ISP monitoring what you are doing via their equipment. It is their equipment and I am sure that their license agreement tells you that they have the right to do so.

If you have LoJack in your car, then how do you know when it is being monitored? You don't.
    Taking a break. Will be back sooner or later.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I see nothing wrong with the ISP monitoring what you are doing via their equipment. It is their equipment and I am sure that their license agreement tells you that they have the right to do so.

If you have LoJack in your car, then how do you know when it is being monitored? You don't.
    I wouldnt mind, if they only kept it to themselves. My issue is when they start sharing it with anybody willing to pay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast