Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boot a cd

Beans

boot a cd

Hello,

Following http://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A...rYcFnvH0qdRmEA I have removed OSX from my MacBookPro 7,1 —those SSD are so small!— and then installed Natty on it.

However, now I can't boot any CD: I have tried with "C" and "option" keys, but the laptop always ends up booting on the HD. I will definitely have to boot a CD someday (e.g. to reinstall OSX when I have to give the laptop back), so I need to fix this. Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Martin.

Beans

Re: boot a cd

Just press Alt immediately before or when the gray screen appears

Beans

Hi Silmathoron,

Many thanks for your reply. When I press the C key, I have a screen with only one option: "Windows", which obviously leads to Linux. But I never happen to boot the CD. It's a huge problem. Does somebody have an idea?

Martin.

Beans

Sorry, I meant: when I press the "option" key. When I press the "C", the computer boots linux as usual.

Beans

nobody?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

does the computer read any disk? like when ubuntu is running and the disk is in do you see it?

Beans

Yes it does!

I am wondering if it is related to the fact that I have totally removed OSX from the computer (following https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...0Ubuntu%20Only)...

And I am wondering if there is a way to undo this...

Thanks for your help anyway.

Martin.

Beans
    Distro

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
    2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    3. Turn on the computer.
    4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    6. Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

Use the link and reset

Resetting NVRAM in Open Firmware

If your computer is Open Firmware-based (Power PC) and you are unable to reset NVRAM as described above, you may alternatively reset the NVRAM and Open Firmware settings using the steps in the Solution section of Message “To continue booting, type 'mac-boot' and press return”.
    In some cases, an Open Firmware-based computer may not respond to the keyboard commands noted above, and may not allow starting up into Open Firmware by pressing and holding the Command, Option, O, and F keys during startup. If you are unable to get to an Open Firmware prompt (and your computer supports doing so), try powering on the computer with the power button held down continuously—as if you were doing a firmware update. This should force the computer into Open Firmware, allowing the steps in the article noted above to be used.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431?viewlocale=en_US

Beans

Many thanks for your help.

And sorry for the stupid question: how is it going to solve my problem? Thanks in advance.

Martin.

Beans
    Distro

if your computer is able to read a disk when ubuntu or macos is running then its not the ubuntu or osx that is the problem its you pram or nvram just reset them to see if it helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast