I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 on an old Asus Pundit SFF PC, which uses an SiS graphics card. I've lost the documentation telling me exactly which card it is.

Quite a few releases ago, I took a lot of trouble to install a driver for this, downloaded from www.winischofer.net. That driver doesn't seem to be supported in the repositories anymore.

At the moment, I don't seem to be using any special driver. System-Preferences-Monitor detects an Unknown monitor. System-Information-Additional Drivers detects nothing.

Graphics response on this machine has been sluggish for a while, and I now find I need to improve it. My questions here are:

1. Am I using the correct driver for my graphics card?
  2. If not, how can I install it?

Here is some info that might help. I used to know a lot more about the nuts and bolts of Linux, and I guess it's a sort-of compliment to the distro that I am rusty because I haven't done anything systemmy like this for a while. This is my media-centre PC, and I don't really do much to it except upgrade software when it tells me to.

Synaptic reports three packages are already installed:
  • xserver-xorg-video-sisusb
  • sisctl
  • xserver-xorg-video-sis

The relevant bit of my xorg.conf looks like this:
Code:
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter"
	Driver		"sis"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"DELL 2407WFP"
	Option		"DPMS"
	HorizSync	30-83
	VertRefresh	56-76
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter"
	Monitor		"DELL 2407WFP"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Modes		"1920x1200" "1680x1680" "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection
I also see a couple of threads here that talk about using a totally different driver for SiS cards.