Thread: Wired connection, but want to join a network

Beans

Wired connection, but want to join a network

I prefer to have my connection in Ubuntu wireless, however I would like to access it from my laptop (Mac) using the local network. I only know how to do this if they are on the same wireless network.

Any tips?

Thanks

Re: Wired connection, but want to join a network

It is not really clear from your description what you really want to do.

If you have a WiFi wireless/hub/router device, by default you will have both wireless clients and Ethernet connected clients on the same subnet. Usually this is something like 192.168.1.xxx

The upstream port on your wireless/hub/router would then connect to whatever DSL/cable/etc. modem you use to connect to the Internet.

The router part of your wireless/hub/router will then do address translation and session routing to allow all LAN (Local Area Network) wired and wireless devices to access the Internet, as well as each other.
    POSIX

Beans

Re: Wired connection, but want to join a network

Re-reading my post I realized I had said it wrong. Sorry about that, hehe. Let me try again.

I would love it if the Ubuntu machine was running on a wired connection from my router. It has been, however I would like to access the machine from the network on my Mac which is connected to the same hub, only wireless.

I think you still answered my question, though. I had assumed the network was based on whether they were connected to the same named wireless network, but you're telling me I should be okay as long as they are using the same router.