Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speech to Text

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Speech to Text

Hello, I am looking for a speech - to - text program. In my previous computer life I used Dragon, but of course it will not with Ubuntu.

Is there any true programs of this nature available ?

COMPUTIAC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Re: Speech to Text

Hello, I have found and installed VEDICS. I won't say it was easy to install because it wasn't .

The problem I have now is when I try to start it the CPU will go to 100% and there is no way to stop it. Restarting the machine is the only way to put an end to it.

The read me in VEDICS calls for Java runtime. I can not find where to download this and install it.

Is there any fix for this ?

Thank's COMPUTIAC

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vedics/

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Looking at the install.sh script it wants sun-java6-jre package.
    To install it you need to enable the partner repository. In a terminal you can do that like this:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ $(lsb_release -sc) partner"
    Regarding high CPU load there seem to others having this problem too: http://vedics.sourceforge.net/?page_id=58
    Maybe something the developers are working on, you might want to contact them about it.

Beans
    Distro

Hello , Thank's for the info. It did not work for some reason , this is what comes up after entering the code ;

bob@bob-HP-dc5000-uT-DZ216AV:~$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/$(lsb_release _sc) partner"
    Usage: lsb_release [options]

lsb_release: error: No arguments are permitted

What am I doing wrong ?

COMPUTIAC

I found one mistake , made correction and this comes up now ;

bob@bob-HP-dc5000-uT-DZ216AV:~$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ $(lsb_release -sc) partner"
    bob@bob-HP-dc5000-uT-DZ216AV:~$

It will not run anything .
    Last edited by COMPUTIAC; February 24th, 2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: found mistake

Beans
    Distro

You missed the space between the url-part and the lsb_release-part. Try to copy and paste the command instead of entering it manually.
    This command should not "run anything". It enables the partner repository. After you've done that you can run the install.sh script for VEDICS.
    Last edited by lykeion; February 24th, 2011 at 01:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hello , I did the copy and paste . When I clicked on the install.sh it opened another terminal and ran from there , no change so far , CPU 100% right now program will not run.

COMPUTIAC

Beans
    Distro

Hello , somehow this created a bug in the update manager . I can not use it at this time , I guess this is why nothing happened when I entered the code .

Yes , I did report the bug . See below :

COMPUTIAC

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10 maverick
    Application: Ubuntu Tweak 0.5.10
    Desktop: gnome

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ubuntutweak/mainwindow.py", line 502, in setup_notebook
    page = module()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ubuntutweak/modules/updatemanager.py", line 44, in __init__
    self.update_list()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ubuntutweak/modules/updatemanager.py", line 59, in update_list
    PACKAGE_WORKER.update_apt_cache(init=True)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ubuntutweak/common/package.py", line 216, in update_apt_cache
    self.cache = apt.Cache()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 88, in __init__
    self.open(progress)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 130, in open
    self._list.read_main_list()
    SystemError: E:Malformed line 65 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)

Beans
    Distro

Have you installed VEDICS or not? It's hard to follow your progress since you've posted so many threads about this.

What do you mean CPU 100% and program will not run? If the program doesn't run it doesn't affect CPU load.

If the CPU load is due to some Java process running in the background I think you do best to restart computer. I know that this is a "Windows-solution", but it may be easier then fiddling with processes from a terminal.

Then I think you should consider Gnome Voice Control instead of VEDICS. It's easier to install, just use Ubuntu Software center to find and install it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post
    SystemError: E:Malformed line 65 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)
    This is probably because you entered the wrong command first (no space between .com/ and maverick). Solve this by
    1. open sources.list in a text editor
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    2. Turn on showing line numbers
    Edit > Preferences > Check "Display line numbers"
    3. Go to line 65, and if it's something like:
    deb http://archive.canonical.com/maverick partner
    You should delete this line
    4. Save and exit gedit
    5. Update repositories
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update

Beans
    Distro

Hello , Yes I have installed VEDICS . When I click on the VEDICS icon the program will not start , and this is when the CPU hits 100% not before.

Yes , I did the windows thing and did a restart , the only way to calm it down.

At this point I can not use package manager either .

COMPUTIAC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast