Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VSFTPD server acces from WAN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: VSFTPD server acces from WAN

Just a shot in the dark...but it seems the connection is dropping after Filezilla switches to "passive mode". In Filezilla, turn off passive mode and try again. I had the same problem with passive mode causing a connect/disconnect. When I changed the mode, it started working fine.

I will also recommend you use SFTP with SSH. Much more secure and no need to have port 21 open. On your router, make sure port 22 is open to the outside OR do like I did and use a different port number for the outside world and forward it to port 22 on the inside.

A~
    Ubuntu...set your computer free!
    Linux User: 216754
    Alabama

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: VSFTPD server acces from WAN

Quote Originally Posted by kg4cna View Post
    Just a shot in the dark...but it seems the connection is dropping after Filezilla switches to "passive mode". In Filezilla, turn off passive mode and try again. I had the same problem with passive mode causing a connect/disconnect. When I changed the mode, it started working fine.

I will also recommend you use SFTP with SSH. Much more secure and no need to have port 21 open. On your router, make sure port 22 is open to the outside OR do like I did and use a different port number for the outside world and forward it to port 22 on the inside.

A~
    Is that the option: Fall back to Active Mode? I get:

Status: De server genereerde een passief antwoord met een ontraceerbaar adres. Passieve modus zijn mislukt. (Passive modus has failed)
    Commando: PORT 192,168,0,102,141,174
    Antwoord: 500 Illegal PORT command.
    Fout: Ontvangen van mappenlijst is mislukt

Quote Originally Posted by Shemahmforash View Post
    Hello.

With the configurations with both have it worked flawlessly for me with 2 or 3 servers, so I don't know what's happening with you.

I searched in google for this particular problem and I have 2 suggestions for you to try out:

First, check this thread, that seems to discuss the particular problem you're dealing with:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=877198
    In this thread, someone putted: "My problem was solved via help on the proftpd irc channel. It turns out that this was a router problem. Many Netgear routers have a feature enabled by default called "SPI Firewall". Disabling this feature allowed the server to be connected to as normal."
    Maybe this is what you need.

My other suggestion is, as another user suggested, for you to try to set up an ssh server instead of an ftp server and then you can connect with an ftp client using secure ftp mode.
    Here's a small and simple tutorial that you can use to build a ssh server using openssh.
    http://icdif.com/computing/2010/08/1...ver-in-ubuntu/

I'll only be back later at the end of the day, but I would like to know if any of this suggestions helped you up.
    Were can i find that SPI Firewall? Can't seem to find it.

But SFTP, isn't that command line based?

In my router I found : Non-Standard FTP Port can that help me somehow?
    Last edited by WannabeFantasma; February 21st, 2011 at 02:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Maybe your router does't have SPI firewall, I really don't know...

About "non-standart" ftp in your router, I don't know what that stands for...

About the sftp, you can use it with any typical ftp client such as filezilla (you just need to change the server type in the combobox).

Try to install openssh with the tutorial I showed you in the other post and, after that, to connect from the outside (if you don't change the port), you just need to open the port 22 in your router. If you change the default port, you need to open that port in the router.

I recommend you, with any of the servers you install, to try to connect first from your localhost, in order to check it's all working fine. If you don't do that, when connecting from the outside, you'll be confused and don't know if the errors are from the server configuration or from the router configuration...

Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: VSFTPD server acces from WAN

Quote Originally Posted by Shemahmforash View Post
    Maybe your router does't have SPI firewall, I really don't know...

About "non-standart" ftp in your router, I don't know what that stands for...

About the sftp, you can use it with any typical ftp client such as filezilla (you just need to change the server type in the combobox).

Try to install openssh with the tutorial I showed you in the other post and, after that, to connect from the outside (if you don't change the port), you just need to open the port 22 in your router. If you change the default port, you need to open that port in the router.

I recommend you, with any of the servers you install, to try to connect first from your localhost, in order to check it's all working fine. If you don't do that, when connecting from the outside, you'll be confused and don't know if the errors are from the server configuration or from the router configuration...

Good luck.
    Gonna ask my eveningschool teacher tomorrow evening...

And gonna try SFTP this evening hope it'll work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

GUI clients for SFTP

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeFantasma View Post
    But SFTP, isn't that command line based?
    As mentioned, you'll need port 22 open, but if you can connect with SSH, then that is already set.

There are both text-based and Clients GUI clients for SFTP. (Disclosure: I put up the first version of that Wikibook) FileZilla, which you already have installed, supports SFTP. You might already have several on that list without thinking about it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Haven't got time to test it.

Probably test it tomorrow.

Edit: Well hopefully....
    Last edited by WannabeFantasma; February 24th, 2011 at 03:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Blah that Sftp server is way too much configuration + wtf with the private keys to set it up.... I'll just call it a day....

If only I found a good How-to for the passive mode.. I would've been ok
    Last edited by WannabeFantasma; February 24th, 2011 at 03:54 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeFantasma View Post
    My friend gets pop up with Username: Passwords: he enters them, after that, connection gets lost
    have you checked that the root ftp folder he is connecting to has the right permissions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Blah that Sftp server is way too much configuration + wtf with the private keys to set it up.... I'll just call it a day....
    Are you doing it correctly?

For setting up a ssh server with openssh you need just a few simple commands! It's very easy.

First you install openssh:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    Then you just need to change the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file in order to suit your needs:

Make a backup copy of it:

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/ssh/sshd_config /etc/ssh/sshd_config.backup
    Then edit it with any editor you like and add the following line:

PubkeyAuthentication yes

Then you just need to restart the server:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart
    Now tell me, is this hard?

With this, you can set up a simple but effective openssh server that allows you to connect remotely to your machine.

Beans
    Hidden!

wow, the link I was following didn't show anything of that "Pubkey" lol I'll try again when I have some time

Quote Originally Posted by gobbledigook View Post
    have you checked that the root ftp folder he is connecting to has the right permissions?
    How can you see that? (I chmod 777 it )
    Last edited by WannabeFantasma; February 24th, 2011 at 08:09 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast