Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: get rid of default keyring request

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: get rid of default keyring request

It still asks me once to type in the password. That's better than 4 times.
    Trying to go Open Source. Begging for patience.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Alright, try this. Right click on the login folder on the password and encryption keys dialog and select change password. Make sure it is the same as your logon password.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Many thanks for this thread. What I ended up doing to get it to work on ubuntu 11.04 on a gateway nv52 ( don't know if computer type matters) is select login automatically and then open up the passwords and encryption keys I had two folders in there login and default I deleted the default and then rebooted. Upon reboot I had the same 3 things plus an additional on or two I clicked on more and selected .... unlock this everytime I log in then entered my password. after I did this for everyone I rebooted and was good.

I had this problem with network manager for awhile but found a solution several releases ago. If you right click the network and wireless button and then edit connections select your connection and choose edit then select available to all users and that solved that hope this helps others and maybe myself if i forget

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: get rid of default keyring request

I had the same problem with password prompts during startup.
    I previously had the automatic login on, which I think caused all my stored passwords to go to a keyring named "Default" instead of the login keyring.

As I didn't find a way to copy the passwords from one keyring to another with seahorse I tried renaming the keyring files in ~/.gnome2/keyrings. And now the keyring is opened as I login.
    NOTE: As matt_symes said, the keyring and login passwords have to be identical.

What I did was:
    Code:
    cd ~/.gnome2/keyrings
    rm login.keyring
    mv default.keyring login.keyring
    echo -n "login" > default
    The last echo sets the login keyring as default, this can be achieved with seahorse aswell.

I didn't try to merge keyrings as I didn't have any passwords saved in the login keyring. Has anyone tried merging? A quick look at the keyring file suggests that simple cat keyring_1 >> keyring_2 will not work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Do you have your system set to log you into your account automatically?
    you may need this add-ons that called lasspass....it very cool plugin that i have installed...it suitable for firefox.
    https://lastpass.com/misc_download.php

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sompo View Post
    you may need this add-ons that called lasspass....it very cool plugin that i have installed...it suitable for firefox.

The plugin is - as you said - for Firefox (btw. available for other browsers as well).
    The problem we are dealing with in this thread is not with saved passwords in a web browser, though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lekksi View Post
    I previously had the automatic login on, which I think caused all my stored passwords to go to a keyring named "Default" instead of the login keyring.

As I didn't find a way to copy the passwords from one keyring to another with seahorse I tried renaming the keyring files in ~/.gnome2/keyrings. And now the keyring is opened as I login.

What I did was:
    Code:
    cd ~/.gnome2/keyrings
    rm login.keyring
    The last echo sets the login keyring as default, this can be achieved with seahorse aswell.

I didn't try to merge keyrings as I didn't have any passwords saved in the login keyring. Has anyone tried merging? A quick look at the keyring file suggests that simple cat keyring_1 >> keyring_2 will not work.
    This is a fantastic solution. I've had this problem multiple times over the last few Ubuntu installs and I think I usually ended up just removing the default keyring password and storing the passwords unencrypted to avoid dealing with the hassle. Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lekksi View Post

What I did was:
    Code:
    cd ~/.gnome2/keyrings
    rm login.keyring

+1 for this solution. Thanks. (This thread should probably be marked solved.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12