Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Asus EEE Slate Owners?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Any Asus EEE Slate Owners?

Anyone buy one of these things yet? More importantly, anyone try installing Ubuntu on one of these? Looks wonderful, but before I even consider a purchase I want to ensure it works with Ubuntu.
    All the world's a stage
    And all the men and women merely players

Beans
    Distro

Re: Any Asus EEE Slate Owners?

I'm thinking about the same thing. I don't think it will be much of an issue since it does run Windows 7, installing Ubuntu should be a breeze. I would like to see somebody else try though before I fork out the 1k...
    "There are 10 types of people: Those who read binary and those who don't"
    >>>"who is general failure and why is he reading my files"<<<
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 22367
    Howto automount NTFS - My wallpaper

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Victormd View Post
    I'm thinking about the same thing. I don't think it will be much of an issue since it does run Windows 7, installing Ubuntu should be a breeze. I would like to see somebody else try though before I fork out the 1k...
    I agree on both points.
    All the world's a stage
    And all the men and women merely players

Beans
    Distro

saw this thread and will keep an eye on it - I think the same issues apply to the Asus slate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

same with me too!
    I wanna know if it works well under ubuntu or not?

I already got my eyes to this amazing slate tablet pc Ekoore
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39zWN_MwS7U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q25lYk75dcA

It works really good under ubuntu, isn't it !
    BUT unfortunately, the LCD size is to small for me (10") coz I plan to use slate tablet for doing modeling and sculpting (with pen stylus) using Blender 3d. Btw, I'm a 3d artist freelancer

So, Asus EEE Slate (12" LCD) is the best choice for me (if it works well under Ubuntu)!!!

Beans

As far as I can see after googling, the EEE Slate has integrated Intel graphics. This means that it does not have fully functional 3D graphics drivers for it as Intel do not provide or support them. I raised a thread about this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1693384) because my netbook has an N450 processor with the Intel integrated graphics GMA3150 so you will have the same problems with the EEE Slate as I am having. Basically, no 3D gaming.

Beans

I'm going to get one of these as soon as I can afford it, image it, wipe it, and install Ubuntu. I'm not much of a gamer these days unless you count hacks and downloads from Blenderartists, plus this thing is about productivity. It's also supposed to be my birthday/christmas present.
    Anyway, I'm an I. T. tech working with my Dad (also I.T.) and I usually wind up doing a lot of things in one day and several at once including remote support, on-call support, browsing with lots of tabs to find answers to customers problems, 3D graphics in Blender, 2D graphics in GIMP and Inkscape, and a Windows XP virtual machine with USB host support for those times I absolutely need a Windows machine.
    The laptop I have now is a heavy 17" Dell in a huge backpack. Not good for college, mobile support, and I can't draw with a trackpad. I can use a smaller bag and still have almost everything I need to do I.T. work.
    Blender runs amazing on almost everything I've installed it on except for an old Toshiba laptop with a Trident video card. Booted Puppy Linux, opened Blender and it ran fine in hardware mode. An i5 will run it fine in software mode until the Intel drivers are working right.

Plus I just found an article http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/52...e-ep121-review that says Asus claims 10 finger multi-touch (Been looking for that spec since I got wind of the slate) and Unity is designed to be used with 4+ fingers and also MULTI-TOUCH BLENDER! I'm even more excited now!
    Last edited by pirohmaniac; March 3rd, 2011 at 12:20 AM.

Beans

I just received mine, but I'm not sure how to even get into the bios. It doesn't even show a bios for me. I'll have to read more into it, and reply back. If there is no bios access there may have to be some modifications done for an installer.

So far I love it. I can even play World of Warcraft on it just fine for those who are interested. The pen touch for camera move is a bit sensitive, but it's at least powerful enough to run the game with great frame rates.
    Last edited by nikitis; March 5th, 2011 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Newegg just got these in stock again, mine is on the way and hopefully, will have ubuntu on it by monday!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi, I got my eee slate (the one with more ram and hard drive) today and put a clean install of ubuntu 10.10. I installed from live usb.

The stylus works out of the box and, as well as some of the buttons. During the live install the bluetooth worked just fine. But now the gnome applet has a reduced menu and tells me bluetooth is disabled. Any thoughts on how to fix this? (I still have a 40 gig partition with windows on it, btw.)

Multi touch does't work yet. I need to get the bluetooth/keyboard working first.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast