Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memtest address vs. BadRAM address

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Memtest address vs. BadRAM address

Bad news: I have a few bytes of bad memory.

Good news: BadRAM is now included in Ubuntu (i'm running 10.10)

Bad news: There currently seems to be a bug in Memtest+ (4.10 and 4.20) when choosing "BadRAM patterns" as your error reporting mode.

So my question is this...

The GRUB_BADRAM parameter in Grub2's configuration (/etc/default/grub) seems to expect a format of "0x00000000" for the bad memory address to be excluded. Memtest is giving me a "failed address" of "0000b609f90"

How should I enter that address into the GRUB_BADRAM parameter?

0x0000b609f90? 0x0b609f90? Or am I way off?

My guess is that for someone more familiar the syntax of memory addresses, this is a no brainier. Which might explain why I've had a hard time finding an answer with all of my googling.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Memtest address vs. BadRAM address

Neither I think. It seems to require a memory address / mask pair as given by the memtest86+.

I haven't done it but there's some information here.

You should probably remove the offending stick of memory and clean the socket and the contacts on stick then re-insert (careful of static, use a strap etc) and then run memtest86+ several times from cold to hot. If the memory addresses come up bad in the same location every time, then you can use this address/mask information in badram.

Chris
    Last edited by fabricator4; February 17th, 2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: syntax

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Neither I think. It seems to require a memory address / mask pair as given by the memtest86+.

I haven't done it but there's some information here.

You should probably remove the offending stick of memory and clean the socket and the contacts on stick then re-insert (careful of static, use a strap etc) and then run memtest86+ several times from cold to hot. If the memory addresses come up bad in the location every time, then you can use this address/mask information in badram.

Chris
    Thanks for the response Chris, unfortunately the ram in question is integrated into the motherboard (laptop).

In my searching, I've run into the same grub documentation link you posted, but I'm afraid I still don't quite understand what information from Memtest+ I should enter as the memory address / mask pair.

For example, the information I have from Memtest+ is
    Failing address: 0000b609d50
    Good: fffffbff
    Bad: ffff7bff
    ERR Bits: 00008000

How should I (or can I?) translate that into the GRUB_BADRAM parameter located in /etc/default/grub ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Marturion View Post
    unfortunately the ram in question is integrated into the motherboard (laptop).
    There should be a service port door to install more RAM on the bottom of your laptop. This is where you will find your existing RAM and be able to R & R it.

What make / model is your laptop? Googleing it should bring up a manual that will show you how to do it.
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sydbat View Post
    There should be a service port door to install more RAM on the bottom of your laptop. This is where you will find your existing RAM and be able to R & R it.

What make / model is your laptop? Googleing it should bring up a manual that will show you how to do it.
    It's a Toshiba Satellite A70

Yes, there is service door and an extra socket to include more RAM, but there is also integrated RAM on this particular model and unfortunately that's where the bad memory exists.

Thanks anyway though!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Marturion View Post
    It's a Toshiba Satellite A70

Yes, there is service door and an extra socket to include more RAM, but there is also integrated RAM on this particular model and unfortunately that's where the bad memory exists.

Thanks anyway though!
    Dude, that sucks. I do not know if you could even disable integrated RAM. Maybe a BIOS setting? Of course, you would have to have other RAM installed first.
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sydbat View Post
    Dude, that sucks. I do not know if you could even disable integrated RAM. Maybe a BIOS setting? Of course, you would have to have other RAM installed first.
    Yeah, not with this BIOS. That's one reason why Ubuntu is such a great option for this laptop - it'll keep it out of a landfill.

But first I need to learn how to properly place the information I got from Memtest+ into the "GRUB_BADRAM" parameter in /etc/default/grub

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did you look in the ram door and see if there were any sticks if ram in there? I have NEVER heard of motherboards with integrated ram before, except for ones with integrated graphics, and even then, that is just ram fir the graphics card.....strange.
    I am mainly active on XDA-Devs as hanthesolo, but I may come here every so often to contribute. I develop for the Galaxy Player 4.0 with my self-founded team TeamSuperNova.

I am always trying to learn, as I acknowledge that I am not omniscient.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hansolo4949 View Post
    Did you look in the ram door and see if there were any sticks if ram in there? I have NEVER heard of motherboards with integrated ram before, except for ones with integrated graphics, and even then, that is just ram fir the graphics card.....strange.

Well, I guess you have now.

I've had the board out in order to clean and re-seat the heatsink (and apply fresh thermal grease). So, I can verify there's no other (easily) removable memory.

And though I do have some previous experience successfully soldering chips to a main-board, I really don't want to go that route in this case.
    Last edited by Marturion; February 17th, 2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: fix a typo

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Memtest address vs. BadRAM address

For now, I'm going to attempt using memmap based on the information

here:
    http://gquigs.blogspot.com/2009/01/b...ory-howto.html

and

here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1342957

However, I would still be interested in the answer to my original question regarding Memtest+ and BadRAM if there's anyone who knows.

Thanks again everybody for your suggestions and friendly assistance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast