Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on EP121 Touch screen problem

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on EP121 Touch screen problem

Quote Originally Posted by buraitopengin View Post
    Bluetooth worked for me out of the box, but after an update, it went down. Sad story T_T By default the touchscreen can only drag the cursor around, utouch drivers wont help at all, but i guess i have to make some changes in grub...
    I had the same problem, and it was very frustrating... until I figured it out.
    I kept windows 7 and used wubi to install ubuntu (I tried both 10.10 and 11.04). After the installation, bluetooth worked out of the box, as well as after some reboot. But when I shut down my EP121 and started it again, bluetooth was not working anymore.

So I guessed that it was not a software problem (updates on bluez did not work) but a hardware problem (ubuntu could not activate the bluetooth device, it was windows that activated it and was never shut down during the reboot)

If you think this is your case too, try this:
    on 11.04, install the package linux-headers-lbm-2.6.38-9-generic
    otherwise look for a linux-backport-modules package.

then reboot. If its not working, then go to the Linux Wireless webpage:
    http://wireless.kernel.org
    Download the last version of compat-wireless
    extract it
    run ./script/driver-select ath3k (the driver for the bluetooth device)
    make bt
    sudo make btinstall
    sudo reboot

After that, it should be working on both 11.04 and 10.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Nice one Tsoral!
    I'll give it a try

Now, we really have to focus on the dualtouch interface.
    Wubi helped me a lot as well, i can't even image to do a clean install each time i receive a kernel panic (I mess really hard with grub'n'stuff and i don't make backup files quite often xD)

First step is to blacklist the touchpad, it seems that the driver create conflicts with eGalax drivers.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I been fighting Ubuntu for a while since getting my EP121, and couldn't quite accept the fact that I had to run 10.10 to make it work just partially.

So, after looking a bit into why it works on one and not the other I came up with a couple of leads.

Now, the short story is that I've managed to actually get most things working now, and have been happily running Natty for the past week or so.

I hacked up a "driver" myself and fixed a couple of minor things. The result is available here:
    https://github.com/cskau/EP121-fixes...tu-11.04-Natty

For the eager ones you can go ahead and download the install script (ep121.sh) or alternatively download all the files at once and do it semi manually.

What this collection of scripts is supposed to do is essentially two things: 1) modify and add the necessary settings, 2) act as a makeshift driver for touch input.

ep121.sh is the install script which is supposed to do the following:
    - Disable evdev for the touch screen.
    - Remove buggy bluez 4.91 and replace it with bluez 4.60
    - Download the "driver"
    - Make sure the driver can read the input/event files
    - Set up the driver for login execution

ep121_drv.py is the so called "driver" - a quickly hacked together Python script to interpret the input events and send them on to X.
    There are still a bunch of things that need fine tuning by the following things work (somewhat) at the moment:
    - Single click
    - Two-finger right clicking (like on Windows)
    - Two-finger scrolling
    The last one is by far the most buggy of the above.
    However, it should be fairly easy to modify the script to tune and even add new gestures and what have you.

Further more I decided to add a small snippet to interpret events from the hotkeys on the machine as well.
    This means that the driver also supplies the following functionality:
    - Screen button: Toggle touch input (mighty handy for when you're using the pen)
    - Flip switch: Toggles left flip of display and input (Pen and Touch)
    I was also considering binding the Keyboard button to toggle Onboard (the on-screen keyboard), but I couldn't find a handy way of making that happen at the time.

Hmm.. did I forget something ? .. Oh well.

EDIT: Now I know what I forgot - the disclaimer:
    DISCLAIMER: I did NOT test this script on it's entirety, I simply hacked it together after fixing all these small thing manually by trial and error myself. I most certainly forgot something in there, so proceed with care, and report back with you own experience.

Now, go ahead and download these scripts and finally start taking advantage of your device's full potential !

Also, feel free to fork me on GitHub, and show me what you can make my little script do.

Cheers
    Last edited by CSkau; May 20th, 2011 at 06:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

thanks for this, gonna give it a try asap!
    "There are 10 types of people: Those who read binary and those who don't"
    >>>"who is general failure and why is he reading my files"<<<
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 22367
    Howto automount NTFS - My wallpaper

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CSkau View Post
    Hi, I been fighting Ubuntu for a while [...]
    Oh My God! That's fantastic! I've been trying for a while to get things working using a very basic Debian distribution and some drivers here and there...

You have all my gratitude!

Even if I am no longer a huge fan of Ubuntu+Unity (lack of usability for a developper), I'll sure give it a try ASAP. The Slate is for entertainment purpose and drawing, my desktop have a custom debian with AWM (awesome window manager, vim, etc... Pretty hardcore if you ask me xD).

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro

Sorry for double posting but I really want to make a separate post for feeback purpose

So dear CSkau,

I tried your amazing script and in most part, it worked for me
    Behold! Here's my feedback :

I made a nice and clean Install of Ubuntu Natty using Wubi installer for Windows.
    First things that blew my mind : Bluetooth worked out of the box oO' so I commented out the bluez driver replacement in your shell script before running it.
    So, Bluez 4.91 work for our sweet EeeSlate, that's good news.

I managed to pair 3 bluetooth devices :
    The keyboard
    A Mouse
    An audio headset with a2dp profile

When pairing the headset, i got some issues with the mouse been too slow moving around the screen but i although spotted this problem under Windows7, it's seems that bluetooth audio devices are consuming a lot of bandwidth.

So after that, I unpacked the archive on my Desktop (lazy way)
    sudowed right into it (sudo sh /home/buraitopengin/Desktop/cskau-EP121-fixes-for-Ubuntu-11.04-Natty-1d83ab4/ep121.sh) answered "Yes" every time the terminal prompted for user input and rebooted the device.

Back on Ubuntu, I tried to touch the screen nothing happened. Reading your post, i learned that you've mapped the hardware buttons so I tried to press the main one and i gave it another try... Nothing...

Seems that your
    <code>echo "ep121_drv.py &" >> ~/.profile</code>
    won't load the python script at startup

Running ep121_drv.py in the terminal make everything work a lot better!

--------------------------------------

And now for the questions ;3

How did you manage to map the slate special buttons?
    How can I be sure that the driver is implementing dual-touch?
    Do you know any virtual keyboard that support more that one finger input?

--------------------------------------

And thanks a lot for your work m-_-m
    Last edited by buraitopengin; May 22nd, 2011 at 12:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Great to hear it

I should start out by making a few notes on Bluetooth.
    I honestly don't know too certainly what exactly is wrong with Bluetooth as its behaving rather random. Even with bluez 4.60.

My initial guess was that the kernel lacks drivers for the internal, on-board Bluetooth receiver, and on top of that that there is a bug in bluez, effectively crippling remaining devices.
    On my own machine I'm actually using a USB Bluetooth dongle to make it work.
    However, this dongle only seems to work with bluez 4.60, while neither receiver works with 4.91.

But the fact that you are now reporting the on-board receiver working with 4.91, cast some serious doubt on that theory

Also, with my own setup I've simply put that one-liner into the '~/.profile' file to make it load at login.
    However, there are a few exceptions to this usage. For one there exists several other files like '~/.profile' that will prevent it from loading. So if you have any of those files in your home dir, then they will have to be used instead.

I'll try expand the "install script" to take these exceptions into account.

As stated earlier the "driver" basically just reads and interpret the events through the '/dev/input/event..' interface (see 'ep121_drv.py' for details).
    So getting the hotkey input is simply a matter of reading their events, and responding on them.

And finally you can test if 'ep121_drv.py' lets you do dual-touch by holding one finger on the screen, and then clicking with the other. This should trigger a right click.
    Also holding two fingers on the screen and dragging them vertically swiftly, should trigger scrolling events.

EDIT: Update..
    I've added a couple of lines to the install script now, so it should function better now.
    I forgot to copy over the XAut lib that is needed, plus making the script executable. My bad.
    Thanks and please keep the feedback coming
    Last edited by CSkau; May 23rd, 2011 at 01:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi there, it's been a while since i logged in!
    The reason is, my EP121 went down! I got that fans issue, they were operating at full blast quite frequently. So I decided to downgrade the bios to 401 to see if it fix the cooling policy but guess what? It won't start anymore...

So, i send it back to the reseller to get a new one ^^
    I guess the slate came from a bad series, better luck next time.

I'll track your github repository as soon as I can

Beans
    Distro

I just got my slate back!
    No more fans issues, that's a relief!

I'll try yournew script this afternoon, thanks again for your work.

Beans

So I finally got mine! Battery had never even been charged yet, took about 30 minutes before it went above 0.
    First, for all those who are sticking with windows until ubuntu works right, check out rt7lite.com
    It lets you add or remove stuff from the windows 7 install. AFAIK home premium 64bit can be cut down to around 7gigs installed. I'll be trying it with my acer restore disks tomorrow.

I downloaded the android-x86 for asus laptops/tablets live cd and it worked right away. As soon as the gui starts the "TSLIB calibration utility" starts. 5 touches later and the touchscreen works fine with single touch. I'm not good enough with linux yet to find out how it works. Unless I just have to install the tslib stuff and use it.

The eGalax driver posted earlier sees no xorg.conf and rolls back any changes it made. I'll have to make one and see what it does.

I tried the script CSkau made too. The ep121_drv.py does make the touchscreen work when it's run from the terminal, but putting it in rc.local doesn't make it start so I'm stuck there too.

Thats about as far as I've managed to figure out. I've got a couple more things to try and I'll post results tomorrow.

edit:
    Forgot to mention, I think our bluetooth problem might be module related. I dont remember anyone mentioning that it's bluetooth 3.0 if that matters. On the bottom edge of my tablet in small letters is "IEEE 802.11 b/g/n + 802.15 BT combo card: NB037" Under that even smaller is "AR5B195".

Anyway I found a bunch of stuff on google but haven't tried anything yet.
    Last edited by pirohmaniac; June 24th, 2011 at 06:21 AM.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast