Thread: C++ help

Beans

C++ help

I'm working on an assignment, and I'm having trouble understanding when to use double or integers. Here are the variable definitions:
    int a = 5;
    int b = 12;

double x = 3.4;
    double z = 9.1;

Now I'm not going to ask you to do my homework but this is the example I'm stuck with. What would be the difference between "static_cast<double>(b / a)" and "static_cast<double>(b) / a"

Aren't they both expressed in decimal? Which would make 2.4 be the answer to both.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: C++ help

In the first case you divide two integers then convert the result to double; and in the second one you convert an integer to double then divide it with an integer.

But, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Beans

So it goes by what the last variable is? For example a double(a) * int(b) = integer answer?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    In the first case you divide two integers then convert the result to double; and in the second one you convert an integer to double then divide it with an integer.
    Which should explain to you why you don't get the same answer.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Xtasy View Post
    So it goes by what the last variable is? For example a double(a) * int(b) = integer answer?
    If you divide two ints, you'll get an int. If you don't convert it to double until after the division takes place, you will have already lost the decimal places before it's converted.

If you convert one of the ints to double and then do the division, you can end up with decimal places.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Okay thank you I'm starting to understand it!

So "b / static_cast<double>(a)" would end in a decimal
    and "b / static_cast<int>(a)" would end in an integer?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I'm more of a visual learner so it's hard just reading it and understanding... I have to see this is right and this isn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

it's very simple - if / operator sees ints on both sides, it will produce int.

integer/integer -> integer
    integer/floating_point -> floating_point
    floating_point/integer -> floating_point

note that you need to be careful in each step of more complex calculations because 2 integers will irreversibly round the number and further steps may work on erroneous intermediate results.
    (3/2)*2=2 - here 2 ints lost 0.5 from true value of 3/2, thus end result is wrong
    (3.0/2)*2=3 - float preserved precision, end result is ok.
    Last edited by Vaphell; February 16th, 2011 at 04:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To me the main distinction is between enumerable counting of things v.s. a continuous scale. IMO languages that fail to distinguish these two unique concepts and try to merge all number types into one fail in that respect.

IMO operators like == and != should be deprecated for floats and doubles and that conversion between them and integer types should always be explicit.

p.s. note that some times you will also find so called "fixed point" arithmetic and they might designate it as something like 24.8 meaning 24 bits for the integer part and 8 bits for the fraction.
    Last edited by worksofcraft; February 16th, 2011 at 04:13 AM.
    Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints.