Thread: Outside Users Unable to Connect to VOIP Server

Beans

Outside Users Unable to Connect to VOIP Server

I am trying to setup a mumble server (http://mumble.sourceforge.net/) on Ubuntu Server 10.10. I have downloaded/installed all of the necessary files and configured my router to open up the necessary port (64738 ). However users outside of my network are unable to connect to the server (get Timeout error). Also to add, I am fairly new to using linux/ubuntu.

I made a post on reddit where you will find more information regarding my problem: http://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestio...g_not_working/

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Outside Users Unable to Connect to VOIP Server

Two things: 1. have you tried placing the server on the DMZ to allow all connections to go to the server without the firewall blocking ports and 2. Do you have a static external IP address? For these IP addresses, you'll need a business grade account. If you dont have a static address from your ISP, your users may connect today if configured right but not tomorrow or whenever the lease is up.

Beans

Static IP is good, if not dyndns can get around that...

Are the ports open to the WAN? Specifically 64738. Do you have a firewall running on the Ubuntu Server?
    Last edited by arrrghhh; February 16th, 2011 at 12:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

first send us the output of the command
    netstat -ntlp
    to see the murmur server listening ports.
    also.
    what about the murmur server ip permissions ?
    does it have any restrictions?
    if you are trying to run the command
    telnet local-server-ip 64738
    what do you get?

what is the device?router? that is doing the port-forwarding?
    if you can use telnet to the local machine it means not likely problem on the murmur machine but on the routing\port-forwarding.
    also to make sure the murmur server configured correctly try to check the settings for the server restrictions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Foeburner View Post
    Two things: 1. have you tried placing the server on the DMZ to allow all connections to go to the server without the firewall blocking ports and 2. Do you have a static external IP address? For these IP addresses, you'll need a business grade account. If you dont have a static address from your ISP, your users may connect today if configured right but not tomorrow or whenever the lease is up.
    1. I have tried placing the server on the DMZ, outside users are still unable to connect.
    2. I do not have an external static ip, I however have setup an dydns account

Quote Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
    Static IP is good, if not dyndns can get around that...

Are the ports open to the WAN? Specifically 64738. Do you have a firewall running on the Ubuntu Server?
    I have opened up the ports necessary for mumble from within the router. I do have a firewall running on the Ubuntu server. I used this guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=firewall), starting at Part 3 "The Scripts".

Here is the output from the command "iptables-save":
    Code:
    *filter
    :INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
    :FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
    :OUTPUT ACCEPT [111:13089]
    :FIREWALL - [0:0]
    :TRUSTED - [0:0]
    -A INPUT -j FIREWALL
    -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 64738 -j ACCEPT
    -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 64738 -j ACCEPT
    -A FORWARD -j DROP
    -A FIREWALL -i eth0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    -A FIREWALL -i lo -j ACCEPT
    -A FIREWALL -j TRUSTED
    -A FIREWALL -j DROP
    -A TRUSTED -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 25565 -j ACCEPT
    -A TRUSTED -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 25565 -j ACCEPT
    -A TRUSTED -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 64738 -j ACCEPT
    -A TRUSTED -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 64738 -j ACCEPT
    -A TRUSTED -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 6502 -j ACCEPT
    -A TRUSTED -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 6502 -j ACCEPT
    -A TRUSTED -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
    -A TRUSTED -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
    COMMIT
    (you can find more output logs inside the reddit link I posted earlier, I am the user "MagicianNamdGOB")

Quote Originally Posted by elico View Post
    first send us the output of the command
    netstat -ntlp
    to see the murmur server listening ports.
    also.
    what about the murmur server ip permissions ?
    does it have any restrictions?
    if you are trying to run the command
    telnet local-server-ip 64738
    what do you get?

what is the device?router? that is doing the port-forwarding?
    if you can use telnet to the local machine it means not likely problem on the murmur machine but on the routing\port-forwarding.
    also to make sure the murmur server configured correctly try to check the settings for the server restrictions.
    - Output from "netstat -ntlp":
    Code:
    Active Internet connections (only servers)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:6502          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      766/murmurd
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      841/sshd
    tcp6       0      0 :::64738                :::*                    LISTEN      766/murmurd
    tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      841/sshd
    - I am not sure if there are any IP restrictions.

- Output from "telnet local-server-ip 64738" (using actual ip and then dyndns hostname)

Code:
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
    (for both external ip and hostname)

However, I can connect to the internal server ip.

- The router I am using is: Belkin F5D7234-4v4
    Here is a screenshot of the portforward screen http://i.imgur.com/0QVbT.png

Like I said above there are more output logs in the reddit post from in the OP, (I am user: MagicianNamdGOB). Let me know if you all need more info. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by buler; February 17th, 2011 at 02:22 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buler View Post
    - Output from "netstat -ntlp":
    Code:
    Active Internet connections (only servers)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:6502          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      766/murmurd
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      841/sshd
    tcp6       0      0 :::64738                :::*                    LISTEN      766/murmurd
    tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      841/sshd
    - I am not sure if there are any IP restrictions.

- Output from "telnet local-server-ip 64738" (using actual ip and then dyndns hostname)

Code:
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
    (for both external ip and hostname)

However, I can connect to the internal server ip.
    Well the telnet test is telling.

I'm also pretty sure you should see 64738 open on IPV4. Looks like you only have it on V6... I'm definitely venturing into unknown water - I'm not sure how you could enable that only for V6, but that appears to be what's going on.

I've also never used murmurd, do you have to bind it to an IP or interface...? Perhaps it's not configured correctly.