Thread: Laptop scrolling constantly

Beans

Red face Laptop scrolling constantly

Hi

I'm brand new to the Linux environment, but I've been doing a lot of reading. I tried installing Kubuntu 10.10 via a "Live USB" on my Acer TravelMate 8371 laptop. When I run Kubuntu live from the USB stick, there's no problem. The installation does also complete without any issues. But as soon as I boot from the harddisk after installing it is like the "mouse wheel" on the touch pad is constantly scrolling. How come this isn't an issue when I boot live from USB? I've been reading some topics which involves Xorg.conf or something like that, but I can't figure out what exactly to do. If I disable the touchpad the scrolling stops and I try to use a mouse instead, but sometimes it won't click when the touchpad is disabled. This is really weird :S I need help!

Beans

Cool Re: Laptop scrolling constantly

Has no one got a clue about this issue? I've tried different Xorg.conf settings and settings in the Input Devices control panels, but nothing fixes it so far. I guess I'll try out the regular Ubuntu 10.10 today or maybe Debian 6.

Beans

No matter what distro of Linux I use, it's the same I've tried Linux Mint 10, Ubuntu 10.10, Kubuntu 10.10, Debian 6 - all the same. The driver must be incompatible with my touchpad or something, even though it is a Synaptics touchpad...?

Thoughts?

Beans

I've discovered that the only way I can address the issue is by running it in VirtualBox from Windows Does anyone have a clue how this can be?