Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: RFH: Do you get 0-byte recordings? (Even infrequently) Please post info about it here

Beans

Re: RFH: Do you get 0-byte recordings? (Even infrequently) Please post info about it

I've narrowed it down to this commit:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubunt...6f3ca9a265ed4e

Everything before this commit works. Everything after this commit fails.
    Reverting this commit on the current head works.

Rocco64 - are you interested in testing this to see if you get the same results?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: RFH: Do you get 0-byte recordings? (Even infrequently) Please post info about it

Quote Originally Posted by The Toastcutter View Post
    I've narrowed it down to this commit:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubunt...6f3ca9a265ed4e

Everything before this commit works. Everything after this commit fails.
    Reverting this commit on the current head works.

Rocco64 - are you interested in testing this to see if you get the same results?
    Can you please file a kernel bug with as many details as possible?

http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    Can you please file a kernel bug with as many details as possible?
    Shall do.

I have another tuner with the same chipset, but a different vendor. I want to check these bisect kernels against this tuner as well, just to make sure it's not just some local hardware glitch.

(Earlier testing gave identical results on both tuners, but I'd like to be sure)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Toastcutter View Post
    Shall do.

I have another tuner with the same chipset, but a different vendor. I want to check these bisect kernels against this tuner as well, just to make sure it's not just some local hardware glitch.

(Earlier testing gave identical results on both tuners, but I'd like to be sure)
    It does happen exactly the same with either tuner.

Bug submitted: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1088733

Beans

Hi - I dropped out of this conversation after having success with the -31 kernel. Two months on and things are still better than with the -33 kernel, but zero-byte recordings happen about once a week, then it's necessary to restart the machine and things more-or-less reset.

I appreciate your work, ToastCutter, on raising the defect and following up. My Myth box is the main PVR for the house, so it is difficult to perform experiments.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

One year down the track (nearly), are you still seeing these issues, Jamoody? I have been experiencing them on a regular basis for the last 12 months - things were fine before that. Did you ever get a set up which worked? If so, can you post the magic formula - this is still driving me nuts!

Edit: I see this arrived at the end of the posting, so I'll make the question a bit more generic. I am still having significant issues, platform is:

Ubuntu 13.04
    mythtv-backend 2:0.26.0+fixes - sources from fixes
    tuners: 2x Hauppauge Nova-TD Stick (52009) (but note I also have the same issues with af9015 based sticks)
    firmware: 1.2
    Kernel: Linux toby 3.8.0-23-generic #34-Ubuntu

Typical dmesg which cause the tuner to fail are:
    dib0700: rc submit urb failed; and
    DiB0070 I2C write failed

Once failed, the machine requires a reboot and unplug/replug of the tuners to resolve. I do have a script which resets the usb using hub_ctrl, and this appears to resolve on a reboot NO unplug/replug, though I don't think the recovery is as robust as with the fuller resolution. However, when I am away from home, this is the best I can manage.

I get zero byte recordings, often after a failed recording with a 376 bytes file size (always seems to be that size).

Can someone tell me what debug flags to turn on in order to log more information to the group. I would dearly love to see this resolved.

Cheers.
    Last edited by siren09; August 15th, 2013 at 06:00 AM.

Beans

I have this issue and to be honest have not read all the previous threads. My problem seems to be the fact that that particular channel (for me it is CBS) does not have a strong enough signal to tune in. I cannot watch it through the myth system, but if I use the signal that goes directly to my TV I can watch this channel but I cannot watch ABC. Both signals strength are in the 80's. Not sure why one would work through myth and one through the TV and be opposite, but that could contribute to the problem if it isn't the sole reason for the problem. I am trying a signal booster this week to see if that eliminates the problem. This did happen when upgrading to the latest version of mythbuntu about a month ago. Would love to hear if anyone else has this or a similar issue. I was able to tune all channels before the upgrade.
    Last edited by jim_collins2; October 10th, 2013 at 05:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jim_collins2 View Post
    I have this issue and to be honest have not read all the previous threads. My problem seems to be the fact that that particular channel (for me it is CBS) does not have a strong enough signal to tune in.
    I went through something similar, also with CBS and ABC. I'm a ways from their transmitters. I have a homerun and a 2250 tuners. I was running mythbuntu 9.04 w/ mythtv 0.24-fixes for several years. When I upgraded to 12.04 w/ 0.27-fixes it took me a bit to get it stable again. What I did that I *think* fixed it;

increase the value under: mythbackend setup -> capture card setup -> signal timeout (mine is 1000)
    increase the value under: mythbackend setup -> capture card setup -> tuning timeout (mine is 12000)

There is also a setting in: mythbackend setup -> capture card setup -> recording options -> DVB tuning delay (mine is at 3000 for the homerun tuner)

I also unticked anything allowing EIT scans on the 2250 and set the backend idle before for EIT to 7200 secs: mythbackend setup -> general -> EIT scanner options (pg 4).
    Out of the ashes of disaster grow the roses of success

Are you for Linux? Is Linux for you?

Beans

I'll definitely try to increase the timeout times and see if that helps. I actually let the program "Scan" for channels and it somehow found an additional CBS that it uses as channel 1. The only issue with that one is that there is no program information - always says unknown. I'll post when I increase the times!!! Thanks for the tip.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678