Thread: need a simple webcam software with motion detection

Beans

need a simple webcam software with motion detection

So my 1 of my roommates keep taking stuff out of my room while im away for the weekend. somebody is doing this and wont come clean. i want to set up a webcam in my room with motion detection so i can find out who it is.

i have looked up a few programs, but they were a bit to complicated for me. now my main computer is my laptop and goes everywhere with me. i have an old OOOLD (1999) computer that i can connect my webcam too. i need a good combo of OS and cam software for this machine. a light weight linux distro and a simple webcam program. so i can just point the cam, click record and go off for my weekend.

my computer is a 366 mhz with probably 32 mb of ram. and webcam is logitech.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: need a simple webcam software with motion detection

There a linux app called motion which detects motion using the webcam then sets if off recording so you don't fill up your whole hard drive of pictures of your fridge It will either take pics or video.

your main prob will be getting an linux o/s small enough to run on your pc you could try tiny core linux but that RAM is very small
    Sony Vaio VGN-NS11J Laptop 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz, 3 GB RAM, 320GB HD. My Linux Blog and My Folding@Home Stats

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: need a simple webcam software with motion detection

you system specs are too low for anything good. maybe a CLI based OS and programme could solve this. it would have to be able to run the camera drivers and store files at leats in the pics.

otherwise just today i read about iSpy programme. though it seems it is limited to windows and a bit more modern maschines. i wonder if there is something similar for linux.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla