Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New laptop- need some confirmations about graphics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: New laptop- need some confirmations about graphics

@ cascade9
    everything is an option. The bottom line is that I don't want to buy something that can't be fully usable. Thats all.
    @ typhoon_tip
    I never had any problems with intel GMA or nvidia. But I know that ATI was somehow problematic back in the days when I started with linux. So I was always avoiding it. I don't know how it is now. But even if it works fine, switchable graphics is still a problem. And as I said, number of AMD models is way lower then intel models.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New laptop- need some confirmations about graphics

Quote Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
    @ typhoon_tip
    I never had any problems with intel GMA or nvidia. But I know that ATI was somehow problematic back in the days when I started with linux. So I was always avoiding it. I don't know how it is now. But even if it works fine, switchable graphics is still a problem. And as I said, number of AMD models is way lower then intel models.
    I don't know about the past personally, but I suspect you may be correct. Now is totally reversed. I have an IT company and we are installing hundreds of computers (mainly new, some of them with Ubuntu) and are having troubles with Intel integrated graphic (especially some models, forget 3D at all) and NVIDIA (at kernel update the system won't restart anymore or start with a broken video driver...).

The switchable graphic is not an issue of ATI, also because NVIDIA has the same thing. Just kill the function from the BIOS or hardware switch (some VAIO notebook use the speed/stamina switch to control switchable graphic) and ... there you go !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12