Thread: Difference between KDE and Gnome?

Beans

Question Difference between KDE and Gnome?

I've noticed that some people prefer KDE to Gnome. Is there any advantage to using KDE. What are the real differences other than cosmetic? If I wanted to, could I replace Gnome with KDE on Ubuntu? Or do I need to replace Ubuntu with Kubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Difference between KDE and Gnome?

You can actually run both desktops and compare them. You'd want to install the (meta)package kubuntu-desktop .

It's a very different workflow and a lot of different choices in the bundled default applications. Ultimately, of course, it's a matter of preference.

To switch between DEs, log out, select your name, and then change the "Session" box at the bottom before you enter your password.

Beans

If you install KDE next to your Ubuntu installation, beware that GTK programs will probably look very ugly. The kubuntu-default-settings package should take care of this, but installing that will probably also change the branding of your machine to Kubuntu's. (boot/shutdown screens, etc)

Beans

Oh? I don't want to do that, then. I'll stick with Gnome. I was just curious about the differences, is all.

BTW, I found this with an Ixquick search: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome

That pretty much answers my question
    Last edited by Bernie Gallagher; February 14th, 2011 at 12:17 AM.

Beans

The best way to really try it out is to download a live image (of Kubuntu) and extract it onto an usb pendrive, then boot that. unetbootin is great for preparing such a pendrive.