Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live CD Front end can't connect to backend

Beans

Re: Live CD Front end can't connect to backend

No joy with the etc/network/interfaces.conf and /etc/resolve.conf editting, these have made no change.

Just found something in /etc/mysql/my.cnf file
    the mysyl server is set to only listen on 127.0.0.1
    change the bind address to 192.168.1.91 (IP of BE machine) sql
    No improvement here

Beans

So here is what I think.

You cannot use a 10.10 live cd with a 10.04 BE. Why? the mythtv protocols are different.
    10.04 use protocols for 0.23 and 10.10 live CD uses 0.23.1.You did not state clearly why you were not connecting.

One thing I know is that you need to set the IP on your backend to a static address first with network manager and then in the BE setup menu.
    test it first on your BE/FE machine to make sure its ok.

You also need to enable the mysql to connect under MCC.

The Live CD should connect and show you what available BE you have if both are on the same network.

Beans

ijumpship
    I've rechecked versions and my BE/FE machine this is running 10.10, The remote FE was a 10.10 live CD.

BE/FE has the static IP setup in network manager as described by AlecJ
    and in the BE setup menu.

Mysql is set up in the MCC of FE/BE and confirmed on this machine to be working.

It's the connection to the DB from the remote FE that I've got problems with. I know it should just work now but it doesn't. Being the scientist I am I know i need to probe the system to find where in the link things break down, but I don't have the technical knowledge of myth, upnp and mysql to deduce where the breakdown lies.

In order to diagnose the root cause I need answers to :
    Is mysql database accepting remote connections ? : (not neccesarily from a myth FE, could be another desktop machine).
    Is uPnP active and working on the FE/BE ?
    How does the remote FE find the BE on the network ?
    Is the remote FE actually detecting the FE/BE machine ?

Unfortunately my technical skills are lacking to find these answers.

Thanks for your help, I know it should work but somewhere in the complex system between remote FE UI and the BE database I've a problem.
    Steven

Beans

Employ a system of elimination

Here are my suggestions

1.Open a webbrowser from your front-end and try mythweb ie.:http://[your backend] or its IP. look for tools settings and look at your database if all is tick OKay.

2.Open a terminal and type mythbackend --version look at the version,if you are using a 10.10 live CD it should be 0.23.1 fix 26437

3.look at your /home/ubuntu/.mythtv/config.xml on the front end it will tell you all about your unpn.make sure your mysql.txt information on the BE match all the info here

In (1) your problem is networking
    In (2) your problem is with protocols.In your first post you stated that you had a 10.04 BE/FE. if upgrade or Auto build you must enable the correct
    protocols in MCC.
    In (3) your problem is with your Unpn or your database.

If there is a problem with the database the front-end will complain with error messages but if it does not, here are the logs you want to check.

on your frontend

more /var/log/mythtv/mysql/error.log

on the backend

more /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log

and

more /var/log/mythtv/mysql.err

or

more /var/log/mythtv/mysql.log

Check the logs first before we start worrying about the Unpn.These are more likely to suggest where your problem lies.

I had a similar problem,where I go as far as re-install the backend mythtv partition,when I go over my notes (yes I make notes of all I am doing so I can reverse all I did).I found that its was incorrectly configuring the protocols and not enabling the BE mysql to connect to other computers on the network in MCC.

I was able to recreate the problem and since then I found that BE and FE will not talk to each others unless the protocols are the same. check (2) above.

Post some of the logs here let us see if we can help

"Cetrius paribus" as it relates to network configuration as you said you did before

Beans

Hi sbrattonuk

I hope your problem is solved,and let us know how you get it solved so that one day when I am not in my right mind I still can find how to ssolve this or a Noob passing by.

Thanks.

Mark it solved if you do.

Beans

Thanks for all you advice.

The issue I had was with the settings in the live front end.
    It was looking for a local backend, not the remote one. in the live FE config.xml file I saw that the FE was looking for a local BE.

I couldn't change the config.xml file manually so I tried a full install as opposed to running "live".

I resolved this by making a hard disk install and changing the database settings in the front end setup programme. It connects now all I had to do was change the password to that of the BE.

Now I need to improve my network speed as playback and live tv are very jumpy. I have reason to suspect this is my network setup and not Mythtv, so that is a job for another forum Thanks guys.

Steven

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12