Thread: Can't Watch YouTube Videos Inside Google Earth 6.0 - Needs Adobe Flash? Help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can't Watch YouTube Videos Inside Google Earth 6.0 - Needs Adobe Flash? Help!

Hello fellow ubuntu-ers,

I decided to have a little research on the Moon so I installed Google Earth 6.0 from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth

I did the first method to download .deb file 32bit for my computer from Google.com, I also installed lsb-core.

Now everything is fine and smooth, I go to the moon and Neil Armstrong's US Flag place on the moon, the picture is fine, and I want to watch related YouTube videos.

I click on YouTube links and it won't show any videos, on Windows this is working Perfect, but on our poor Ubuntu, seems there's a bug again.

It tells me to install Adobe Flash so I went to Adobe Flash website, download the .deb, everything installed fine.

On Firefox browser I can watch YouTube, no problems.

Can you help me figure out what I'm doing wrong, I really love Ubuntu, and Google Earth. Please Help.

I've attached pictures so you can be aware of what I already did.

1. The Google Earth error that says to install Adobe Flash
    2. The Adobe Flash URL website I download .deb
    3. The installed Adobe version on my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Ubuntu Software Center.

Thanks for your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can't Watch YouTube Videos Inside Google Earth 6.0 - Needs Adobe Flash? Help!

Please help, I really want to WATCH the Tours with sound & video on Google Earth. But it's not working.

Thanks guys.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't Watch YouTube Videos Inside Google Earth 6.0 - Needs Adobe Flash? Help!

It is not a bug in Ubuntu. Adobe Flash is not Open Source software and the distributors of Ubuntu give us the choice of not using non-open source software if we do not want to. And some of us for ethical reasons choose not to use it.

As you have found out it is not too difficult to install non-open source software in Ubuntu. Some other distributions do not make it so easy. This is my understanding.

If you can watch Youtube in Firefox why can you not watch it using Google Earth? This is the question. Is the problem with Ubuntu or with Google Earth?

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I used to have problems with Flash in ubuntu.

Another user mentioned Flash-Aid, which is here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/flash-aid/

What this plugin does is to identify the correct version of flash that should be running in your installation, removes the incorrect version, and installs the correct version. It will update to the latest version.

It does this by generating a shell script, which is then run. You will need your administrator password.

It certainly solved my problem, I hope that it proves equally helpful for you.

Regards,
    "Always take the high road! That way, nothing will hit you when the brown, gooey stuff hits the fan."
    Additional setup for Ubuntu 14.04: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem/Software%2014.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@gramham - thank you for your insights. Appreciate it.

@fballem - actually I have no problem with Flash on Firefox, it's only when using Flash on Google Earth.

:<

Beans

Smile Re: Can't Watch YouTube Videos Inside Google Earth 6.0 - Needs Adobe Flash? Help!

I have the same problem it would be great if someone out there could help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Arrow Re: Can't Watch YouTube Videos Inside Google Earth 6.0 - Needs Adobe Flash? Help!

They make an open source flash for Linux. I had it downloaded to my desktop before but I couldn't figure out how to install it. I got the impression I would have to manually compile it and I don't know how to do that.

I can't seem to find the site where I downloaded it from now but I'll keep looking and post the link in an edit just in case it helps anyone.

For now there is this though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_for_Linux

Edit: Yeah, I might have made a mistake in what I thought it was. Sorry guys.
    Last edited by ClientAlive; June 4th, 2011 at 03:54 AM.
    “ The best method for accelerating a computer is the one that boosts it by 9.8 m/s2. ”
    - Anonymous