Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HP dm1z Ralink 5390 driver problems

Beans

Re: HP dm1z Ralink 5390 driver problems

Thanks frospeh for catching the error, I edited my original post with the back ticks so people wouldn't continue to encounter the same error.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Hey everyone,

I've got the dm1z with the rt5390 chip. This might seem off topic but I would like to know if anyone has power management issues with the dm1z. I mean I've lost allot of battery power when I shutdown the computer and leave it for a day (about 10%) with any ubuntu variant. I think that the chip still draws power when the system is off because when I use the ethernet port (which lights on if used) and shut down the computer, the port is still active (the light is still on). Note this is all with just the battery plugged in. So if anyone can validate this, I would be thankful.

Thanks
    -Red

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adamis View Post
    Thanks frospeh for catching the error, I edited my original post with the back ticks so people wouldn't continue to encounter the same error.
    Will I need to run that command each time I install a new kernel?

Thank you!

Beans

The instructions listed in the link from earlier posts I found have typos. Below are some corrected instructions that hopefully should get you on your way...
    Registered to thank you. I was one of the people suffering from hard system freezes, and this fixed the problem!

Beans

To answer the question about new kernels, yes, you will have to do these commands each time your kernel gets updated. On the plus side, once you understand the procedures, it is much easier to do the second time.

Supposedly, the 2.6.39 kernel will have fully working drivers for this chip-set which will fix the issue permanently.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by palimmo View Post
    Will I need to run that command each time I install a new kernel?

Thank you!
    Until they fix the issue in the installed kernel, you'll need to run the command(s) every time. Each installed kernel version it's own directory for kernel modules (drivers).

froseph

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The power/battery issue mentioned by RedBlade is discussed further here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1729782

Just to re-iterate, here is what I did to get wifi working on my 32-bit install:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/b...ry=11.4-update

You'll see 64-bit (x86_64) and 32-bit (i586) packages listed. Download the openSUSE driver package - the source RPM, not the binary package:
    rt5390sta-2.4.0.4-6.2.src.rpm

Open your web browser's download directory and double-click the src RPM. Extract all files into a new directory named openSUSE_rt5390sta_driver

Open a terminal and sudo to root:
    Code:
    sudo su -
    cd openSUSE_rt5390sta_driver
    tar jxvf 2010_1216_RT5390_LinuxSTA_V2.4.0.4_WiFiBTCombo_DPO.tar.bz2
    cd 2010_1216_RT5390_LinuxSTA_V2.4.0.4_WiFiBTCombo_DPO/
    patch -p0 < ../rt5390sta-2.4.0.4-config.patch
    patch -p0 < ../rt5390sta-2.4.0.4-WPA-mixed.patch
    patch -p0 < ../rt5390sta-2.4.0.4-convert-devicename-to-wlanX.patch
    patch -p0 < ../rt5390sta-2.4.0.4-remove-potential-conflicts-with-rt2860sta.patch 
    patch -p0 < ../rt5390sta-2.4.0.4-return_nonvoid_function.patch
    patch -p0 < ../rt5390sta-2.4.0.4-reduce_debug_output.patch
    mv RT2860STA.dat RT5390STA.dat
    vi os/linux/config.mk
    Change HAS_ANTENNA_DIVERSITY_SUPPORT to:
    HAS_ANTENNA_DIVERSITY_SUPPORT=y

Code:
    make
    mkdir -p /etc/Wireless/RT5390STA
    cp  RT5390STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT5390STA/
    cp -i os/linux/rt5390sta.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
    echo rt5390sta >> /etc/modules
    echo "blacklist rt2800pci" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    depmod -a

Beans

Hi, just wanted to thank all the contributors to this thread (and especially i_grok's post) for all their help. After weeks of pfaffing around and trying various solutions, my machine is finally up and running with wireless - woohoo!!! Thanks again.

Beans

The instructions listed in the link from earlier posts I found have typos. Below are some corrected instructions that hopefully should get you on your way...

1. Download the file contained at this link: http://barkmunchers.com/dm1z/RT.tar.gz

2. Extract the files to a directory. Then open a console, navigate to the directory that you extracted the files to then run the following commands:

PHP Code:
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo mkdir 
    -/etc/Wireless/RT5390STA
    sudo cp RT5390STA
    .dat /etc/Wireless/RT5390STA/RT5390STA.dat
    sudo cp 
    ./os/linux/rt5390sta.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt5390sta.ko 
    Note that for the last command above I used the option <uname -r>. This will copy the files to the current running kernel version. Make sure you are running the kernel that you wish to get the wireless running on...

Now edit /etc/modules to add the line 'rt5390sta' at the end

Then run:

PHP Code:
    sudo depmod -a
    reboot 
    That should get you on your way. Hopefully that I didn't add in any typos myself.

**Edit** fixed the <uname -r> with `uname -r`, Thanks frospeh for catching the error!
    Hi guys!

I thought I solved the problem with this solution but...sometimes the connection goes down... in particular during skype video-chat... and this is very annoying.

Do you have any idea?

Thank you very much!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by palimmo View Post
    Hi guys!

I thought I solved the problem with this solution but...sometimes the connection goes down... in particular during skype video-chat... and this is very annoying.

Do you have any idea?

Thank you very much!
    Nothing?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast