Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HP dm1z Ralink 5390 driver problems

Beans

HP dm1z Ralink 5390 driver problems

There are a number of us that have the new HP dm1z-3000 laptop, which has a Ralink 5390 card. None of us have been successful in getting the card to work, even when downloading the driver from Ralink and compiling ourselves.

Note that this is all on 64-bit; I've heard the odd success story on a 32-bit OS, but not for this specific machine.

I've tried the instructions in this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post10441038

Several of us with the dm1z posted in there, including outputs of what happens when the driver is accessed. I also tried it on Natty Alpha 2, but can't get past login with networking enabled. It hangs so fast I can't even get to a real console to see what's going on.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: HP dm1z Ralink 5390 driver problems

I got a response back from Ralink technical support, having sent them the details in the other thread. They're attempting to reproduce the issue. Hopefully they'll be able to shed some prompt light on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for the effort. I just ordered my dm1z. may have to resort to transplanting the broadcom 4322 from my current HP dv2 of the problem can't be resolved.

I noticed the windows driver reports it as ralink 5390, not 539f.

Is there a chane the problem could be related to the new Hudson Southbridge and PCI-E config?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    That does look promising. I'm not a driver writer but all those 5390-specific definitions look like just the sort of thing that might be almost the same across chips, but not quite leading to sort of behavior we've been seeing with the existing driver.

(I've also ordered a cheapo USB adapter to use under Linux while this is getting figured out.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi,

My two cents: Here http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10452987&postcount=42 are some steps that worked for me on making my Ralink 5390 on my HP G62 laptop. Even though I am using 32-bit Maverick, I think these steps could work on 64-bit as well, as I was seeing the same issues reported in that thread (able to build and install but unable to connect to any network).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    Quite promising, but a bit too late to be included in kernel 2.6.38, not to mention that the version of rt2x00 included with the kernel is a couple months behind. Possibly some hope for a backport, but unlikely I'd guess. We may have to wait for the next kernel (or later), or pull from the project's git tree and build ourselves.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ricardon View Post
    Hi,

My two cents: Here http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10452987&postcount=42 are some steps that worked for me on making my Ralink 5390 on my HP G62 laptop. Even though I am using 32-bit Maverick, I think these steps could work on 64-bit as well, as I was seeing the same issues reported in that thread (able to build and install but unable to connect to any network).
    This worked for me on my dm1z under 10.10 64-bit. Nice work. I've also posted confirmation in the other thread.

I actually got an email from Ralink tech support a couple of hours ago pointing to your posting as a possible solution.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ricardon View Post
    Hi,

I can confirm that this solution works under Natty x64 as well. Thanks a bunch.

Beans

Angry Re: HP dm1z Ralink 5390 driver problems

I got the card to work on open networks but with anything from wep-wpa2 will not connect. I have the hp dm1 3000 5390. I have not gotten a reply from RAlink on this issue.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast