Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove krunner

Beans

Remove krunner

Hi everybody,

I hope somebody will help me because this is driving me mad. I just recently switched from Windows 7 to Ubuntu + KDE and I can't for the life of me find a suitable 'msconfig' replacement.
    My issue in particular is with the 'krunner' process which I want to replace with 'synapse', but I just can't seem to find where to disable 'krunner' from starting up with the system.
    The 'Autostart' module in 'System settings' shows nothing. Also 'Pidgin' and 'Cairo-dock' start with the system and I can't find where this information is located. I'd like two things: a way to easily manage applications and services running when the system starts up, and a way to prevent the 'krunner' process from starting up again.

Thanks!

Gabriel
    Last edited by Gaba_p; February 11th, 2011 at 06:49 PM.

Beans

Re: Remove krunner

Try looking here:

Menu / Personnel Settings / Advanced Tab / AutoStart

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

i don't mean to push you off somewhere else, but if you cannot find the answers here, you can certainly inquire about them here http://forum.kde.org/

or join a kde irc channel.

Beans

@thefasterblueone
    In KDE 4.5.3 there is no 'Advanced' tab in 'System settings' (which is what I assume you mean by 'Personnel settings') Furthermore, I already said I checked the 'Autostart' module and it shows nothing (and it's pretty much useless compared with 'msconfig' and this is just an honest opinion, I am NOT trolling and I'm NOT switching back to Windows)

@inobe Well, if nobody can/will help me here I guess I'll have to.

Cheers.

Beans

- Krunner is an integral part of KDE. And it in no way shares any functionality with synaptic. Synaptic is a package manager, krunner is how you launch commands / search / do all kinds of wacky stuff in KDE.

- If they aren't in the Autoruns page, pidgin and cairodock are probably being started as part of your saved session. Try going to the session manager tool in system settings and select "start with an empty session" under "On Login". Then logout and log back in and see if they don't start.

If you want your sessions saved you can re-enable that after pidgin &co are gone.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi,
    Boot Up Manger (BUM) makes a pretty good alternative to msconfig as far as services and startup scripts go, but krunner is not shown to run as a startup script or service in there either. I see some people mentioning disabling the Nepomuk plugin inside Krunner to avoid poor performance with Krunner, that is if it is enabled (because mine is already disabled). To do this, press Alt+F2, then when krunner opens, click on the little wrench icon to enable and disable plugins. You can also disable Nepomuk all-together if you like. It can be found in System Settings > Desktop Search > Basic Settings.
    Hope this helps.

Beans

@lykwydchykyn The saved session advise worked for Pidgin (I ended up removing Cairo and installing Docky)

@ankspo71 Thanks for pointing me to 'BUM'. Still, this service combined with the 'Autostart' module don't match the power and usability of the old 'msconfig'. This is very frustrating.

I changed my mind and will not be replacing 'krunner' with 'synapse' since the first is far more powerful. That aside it still bugs me that I don't have complete control over which services/apps run at start-up. It doesn't matter if 'krunner' is an integral part of KDE, it's a service and we should be able to choose whether we want it running or not.

Thanks to all.
    Last edited by Gaba_p; February 11th, 2011 at 06:49 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gaba_p View Post
    I changed my mind and will not be replacing 'krunner' with 'Synaptic' since the first is far more powerful. That aside it still bugs me that I don't have complete control over which services/apps run at start-up. It doesn't matter if 'krunner' is an integral part of KDE, it's a service and we should be able to choose whether we want it running or not.

Thanks to all.
    I don't understand why you think Synaptic would be a replacement for krunner. They are not even remotely the same type of software. Are you wanting to replace the package manager in Kubuntu (kpackagekit) with Synaptic, or are you looking for something to use in place of krunner (e.g. gnome-do)?

Surely you can understand that there are parts of a desktop environment that simply cannot be shut off, because the system depends on them.

Beans

Sorry, my bad. I just realized I've been saying 'synaptic' instead of 'synapse'

I'm going to edit all my previous comments, so I don't confuse anyone else.

The way I see it 'krunner' is simply a launcher, just like 'synapse'. Maybe I'm missing something here, but if that's all it is, why can't I shut it off??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gaba_p View Post
    Sorry, my bad. I just realized I've been saying 'synaptic' instead of 'synapse'

I'm going to edit all my previous comments, so I don't confuse anyone else.

The way I see it 'krunner' is simply a launcher, just like 'synapse'. Maybe I'm missing something here, but if that's all it is, why can't I shut it off??
    I supposed you could always do "pkill krunner" and see what breaks. If nothing breaks, add that command to your startup.
    If stuff breaks, then you know it's more than just a launcher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast