Thread: 5650 Switchable Graphics & Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

5650 Switchable Graphics & Ubuntu 10.10

I have a HP Pavillion DV6-3073ca which has a switchable ATI 5650 and integrated graphics chip. I have been looking all over the web to find out how I can get this setup working perfectly in UBuntu 10.10 but I have been confused by many different methods and mixed responses from people who use them.
    Right now this is the only thing keeping me from using Ubuntu full time.
    What I am asking from you guys is what is the most straightforward and reliable way to get this kind of a set up working for me? Do i need to install both drivers? What is an outline of what i need to do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 5650 Switchable Graphics & Ubuntu 10.10

I have the DV6-3070ca with the same problem.

All I want to know is how I can use my ATI Mobility 5650 rather than my Intel 4500MHD. I have Counter Strike: Source running, but it's running off of the 4500MHD rather than my 5650 so I'm getting close to nothing in FPS. How can I use my 5650 instead?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuforums View Post
    I have the DV6-3070ca with the same problem.

All I want to know is how I can use my ATI Mobility 5650 rather than my Intel 4500MHD. I have Counter Strike: Source running, but it's running off of the 4500MHD rather than my 5650 so I'm getting close to nothing in FPS. How can I use my 5650 instead?
    i had to go into the bios of my acer

Graphics: Switchable (change to discrete) as long as you have fglrx driver installed should work mate basically forces xorg.conf to auto recognize your radeon

ps i'm jealous i can't get cs:s to load when i launch through steam or wine programs steam cs:s

Beans

Hi, I also have a dual graphic card laptop, MSI CX420. I also looked for solutions but I don't believe there is one yet. You can either use one of the graphic cards from boot up through bios but not both. There is also a driver for ATI cards for Ubuntu in their site.

Beans

If you want to use fglrx/Catalyst, you must disable the IGP (if possible). If your BIOS doesn't allow you to turn off the IGP, you're screwed in terms of using fglrx. You can still use open-source drivers and the vga_switcheroo (google it) script to switch back and forth.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    If you want to use fglrx/Catalyst, you must disable the IGP (if possible). If your BIOS doesn't allow you to turn off the IGP, you're screwed in terms of using fglrx. You can still use open-source drivers and the vga_switcheroo (google it) script to switch back and forth.
    Thank you very much. This is very useful.