Thread: installing ubuntu 10.1 on mac ibook G4

Beans

installing ubuntu 10.1 on mac ibook G4

So for christmas i got a used ibook G4 with OS 10.4.11 from my aunt. I have now decided that i would like to experiment with ubuntu since many of my friends use it and love it. I have gotten a version of 10.1 that is supposed to be formatted for use on PPC (a friend got it for me so i have no idea where it came from) and after checking the files in it that appears to be correct. However, I have not yet gotten it to install.

I have the .iso saved to my hard drive and can access that at any time and I have partitioned my 4gig flash drive to be evenly spaced with the first have being formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the second half is formatted to MS-DOS File System (FAT32), and have copied all the files and folders (including hidden stuff) to the first half of the flash drive. My original plan was to boot from the flash drive, but I realized very quickly that this is either not possible or very difficult. I would like to be able to simply run ubuntu alongside or temporarily somehow to make sure that I like it and then completely do away with mac OS and just use ubuntu after deciding that it is better. If it makes it any easier however, i would be willing to skip the first part and just go straight to deleting mac OS for the sake of convenience.

I would really like help with this and will be happy to answer any questions about hardware specs.
    Thanks!

Beans

Re: installing ubuntu 10.1 on mac ibook G4

I'm a little confused with what you're saying, but are you saying that as of right now you just want to "try out" ubuntu and see if you like it? If thats the case, you could try a VM software, such as VMware or parallels, or you could always do a dual boot with MacOS and Ubuntu. You dont need to rid your computer of MacOS if you dont want to. I have a dual boot setup now, and it works quite nicely.

Beans

A dual boot would be nice, but I would like to eventually switch to only ubuntu to save hard drive space. I have no idea how easy it would be to switch from dual boot to exclusively ubuntu though, or if I should simply skip that and just go for only ubuntu. It should be noted that I am a total noob at this and most of my friends that aren't have little to no experience with PPC macs so I have no idea how to make the install work.

Beans

powerpc macs won't boot from usb devices,as far as I know.
    Your best bet is toartition your hdd, burn a dvd with ubuntu,install it and when you want to run it instead of macosx,press alt and boot to ubuntu.
    PowerMac G4 400MHZ Gigabit Ethernet/1.75Gb PC133/Geforce 6200 256MB/PCI WIFI RT3060/USB 2.0 NEC/Viewsonic PF775

Beans

I know they won't, i kinda found that out the hard way. Also for some odd reason this laptop doesn't have a dvd player or any sort of disk burner. I tried what you were saying and was pretty upset when i found out this laptop has the software but not the hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You can partition your disk as a dvd drive and copy the contents of the .iso image into that partition and make it bootable, then boot ur pc from that partition and install ubuntu on the rest of your disk, then after installation you can remove the ubuntu dvd partition.

you can check out this link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

it has various ways to install ubuntu without cd, even without network.
    It's called a beta release for a reason. Not for noobs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you CAN boot from usb.
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans

How?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you guys never heard of Google?
    I would follow the installation instructions for MintPPC. It is explained there.
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org