Thread: frontend/backend hangs when choosing settings. installed from 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

frontend/backend hangs when choosing settings. installed from 10.10

Hi,

I made a fresh install of Mythbuntu 10.10 64-bit and was on my way making things work. TV was duplicated and no sound but it is on its way... However, I tried to change to another theme to make it work more nicely with my old 4:3 LCD monitor. But after my change to that theme I cannot get in to the settings in the frontend or the backend. MythTV hangs. I can stop the freezing with ESC and choose another menu-item. But as soon as I try to enter the Settings Menu it freezes again.

Is there a way to change the theme via command line or is there another way to solve this problem? Except reinstalling everything...

My hardware is:
    AMD 64
    1 Tb SATA HD
    TV: Sundtek Media TV pro USB stick (use the analog reciever)
    Graphics: ATI Sapphire HD 4550

All kinds of ideas and suggestions are very appreciated.

/Torgny

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: frontend/backend hangs when choosing settings. installed from 10.10

Are you sure that it froze, or was it just processing?
    Some themes take quite a while to prerender the first time, depending on processor and memory etc.
    Perhaps you could uninstall the themes from the Mythbuntu control centre.
    The sig between the asterisks is SO COOL that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

First, thanks for the reply so far. I really appreciate all ideas, and suggestions.

I made some more digging and it isn't working, it just stops. But I managed to make it in to the settings for the frontend and the backend. It was a lucky guess, but here is what I did:
    I clicked CTRL+ALT F4 to change to TTY4 so I could get a terminal and see if I could change anything even if the mythTV menu was frozen.
    When i Changed back to TTY7 (graphical MythTV-frontend) the menu had popped up.

So, whenever it froze i just changed TTY and back again and then I was in the menu and could do all the editing.

But the original problem do persist although I changed the theme. So when I open the frontend and enter
    Utilities/Setup - Setup. If I choose General or Apperance there, it "freezes". But I can, as mentioned above, enter the menu if I go to another TTY and back again.

It seems a little weird. I have checked the settings I made and tried to change everything to default or Standard, but no luck.

May it be a graphics problem? Any Ideas about how to go further?

EDIT: I Forgot to mention, I did try to uninstall the themes from Mythbuntu Control Centre, but it did not change anything, so I reinstalled it again. And everything did work in the beginning.
    Last edited by TorgnyHellstrom; February 10th, 2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer some suggestions...

Beans

The ATI cards have never been a favourite of mythtv.

To change the theme on startup, try running:

mythfrontend -O Theme=Arclight
    (or whatever theme you wish to use)
    Last edited by nickrout; February 11th, 2011 at 02:00 AM.

Beans

Hi,

I have exact the same problems. Also 10.10 and an Ati 4870 card.
    Is there any solution on this?

Thanks